Friday, July 27, 2007

I missed my whoville bus to the skytrain on my way into Van city and was forced to take the bus that runs along the Barnet highway. I was reading (Harry Potter -- not the new one, I'm only on the fifth book) until the bus slowed and I knew we were at the place, the site where the oil gush occurred. While the roadway was cleared and looking almost normal, the trees closest to the site were entirely black and glistening in the sun. Right behind them were houses that look like they've been cleaned up.

This morning I heard about oil showing up on a beach further along the inlet. It is hard to tell the ultimate effect of this disaster on the area.

1 comment:

Wandering Coyote said...

This was such a horrible thing to happen. Unbelievable. I was glad to see that John Baird will make sure the companies involved will pay for the cleanup rather than the taxpayers, but I just hope they do a proper job of it and don't cheap out. The effects of this on the local waterways, beaches, and wildlife will be severely devastating, though. Oil is just the bane of our time, as far as I'm concerned.