Monday, July 09, 2007

job update

So anywho...
did I mention that I didn't get the LV office person job? I didn't get it. Oh well. It wasn't meant to be, right? The woman who did get the job has already been filling in for the last couple of weeks anyway so it would seem cruel to take it away from her wouldn't it?

It does feel like the application process was somehow going through the motions of company policy with the intentions of giving her the job anyway. Even though this woman did seem uneasy when she found out I had applied, by the end she was pretty confident in her chances and why shouldn't she be?

I thought it wouldn't bother me when they told me I wasn't the person for the job, but it did. I know I would have been great in the job and gone beyond just doing the work expected. Most people at work didn't even know that I had applied and one person came up to me and handed me the notice to be posted that b.c. had gotten the job and asked me to proofread it. That felt a little insulting, but they had no idea I had applied. The post notice was grammatically incorrect, but I didn't say anything and most of the time my writing is anyway. Afterall, it doesn't matter. As long as the information is conveyed and I got the message, thanks.

So I'm doing the same old, dealing with a line up of old geezers with their sandpaper and drill bit orders with their stupid cracks about their wives and how they all spend too much time and money in LV. Stop going then. I'll face the surgically altered women with their demanding lists of hardware knobs and handles that they think is unique yet I've sold those same stupid handles to everyone else in the lower mainland because everyone wants that same look in their kitchen that is cold and clinical. I can't wait for that style to pass. I'll help the elderly women while trying to hold my breath because of their baby powder perfume that they've become immune to. It sounds like I don't like my job doesn't it? It's true I'm not crazy about some of it, but I do like the people I work with and that makes it worth going in for. There are the occasional interesting gardeners I learn from.

They've tried to give me more hours, but I'm balking at that because I don't want more hours of something I'm iffy about doing anyway. It did occur to me that they wouldn't want to lose me from the work I'm doing now because I'm awesome at it. Maybe I can't always advise someone on which router bit to use, but the rest of it i excel at. It's raise time in August so I'll see what they offer me in August and then go from there.




2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Sorry you didn't get the job, sp. I hope they realize your worth next month when raise time comes. Your descriptions of your customers was superb!

Anonymous said...

You should be writing a script that takes place in LV...m/d