Saturday, July 14, 2007

injured vegan?

While db is in the kitchen making the traditional weekly vegan pizza (I chose mushrooms, mushrooms, eggplant and fresh swiss chard for my toppings. Yum, yum double yum), I'm icing my knee. Ouch! Is it a work related injury? Did a take a corner too quickly? Is it due to the amount of cycling I've been doing this week with all of those hills? I'm not sure what happened, but I realized part way through work today that my knee was sore and starting to swell. Hmm. Not good.

I went for a massage a couple of weeks ago and my calves and hips were clearly in bad shape. At one point the massage therapist said "muscle shouldn't clunk". Good point. I'll be going back for some more help with that.

I haven't mentioned that I'm hoping to run the Okanagan marathon in October. It's fairly close to Whoville and I think it would be a lovely way to complete the 2007 running season with a run and a little time away with db in wine country. So I've been training again. I've been "listening to my body" as always and feeling good with the usual up and down days, but now I'm worrying again because I was planning on running 15 k tomorrow and well...my knee. I should mention that I have a big fear that I will get some sort of knee problem. I've had it before from playing tennis and since I've stopped I've been fine so I've been running with a silent wish that my knees won't ache. Achilles? Okay I've dealt with that. Bad back? Feels better when i run. Morton's Neuroma? Just a little tingly feeling, but it went away over the winter. I've dealt with a few minor aches and pains, but the knee scares me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it feels. A domani!


2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Ouch! Hope it gets better quick!

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

ack- just catching up- a thought: knee stuff sometimes knee stuff sometimes originates in the glutes, so if you were saying your hips are locking up or are clunking- and unfortunately, I relate- knee problems could be the result; think of external rotators and glute medius actions; they're either tight or weak....we can chat and I can give you some stuff to try- I've been through this with a few folks, myself included! Good to hear you've planned another run, though. i"m excited for you.