Monday, July 02, 2007

Summer reading

I had to stop reading the Janet Frame book, Yellow Flowers in the Antipodean Room. It's far too dark right now and I need something... a little more uplifting. After perusing the bookshelves here at home I think I need to head to the library and pick up something a little lighter. My goodness our book selection is heavy.

The move last October led us to get rid of most of our books, selling them and giving them away. Now when I read something I tend to get rid of the book after I read it. So all I am left with is mostly non-fiction reference books that are mostly my film studies books and those weigh heavily in the horror department. Why couldn't I have studied the musical or comedies? I know some of the horror films cover those genres as well, but I went for the gore and splatter of the slasher film. Okay Scream is quite funny, but still very gorey.

db's book selection isn't much better when searching for some light summer reading. He's been reading religious history books. Interesting stuff, but not very light. I suppose it's how you define "light" as well. Let me try...

Most of my book reading is done on transit and during my work breaks. This is part of the reason I like public transit. Without a t.v. or a computer on hand and I don't have a blackberry or cell phone of any kind so when I'm on public transit I tend to write or read. I am biking more these days so if I get into a book and can't find time to read it, I'll leave the bike at home so I can finish the book on the bus. If I'm really hooked I will read at bedtime, but mostly I prefer a garden reference book on the bedside table.

Now I'm not looking for junk, but if anyone can recommend something humourous that is a good read I'd appreciate it. My sister did give me a Lynda Barry "Activity Book" that has all my favorite characters in it and is creatively inspiring. I'll start there.
I love her drawings and how she fills every bit of space in her comics so that the borders become doodles or side-notes or even have little narratives of their own. Each page is like a collage and every layer adds something else to the whole picture. I think she's brilliant. My sister and I use to read and share her comics, laughing ourselves silly over the humour and tragedies of Marlys and Maybonne. Her comics hit just the right note for us.


2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Humorous, eh? Geez, now that someone is asking for book recommends, I am having a hard time!

Rogue's Wedding, by Terry Griggs (great, and she's Canadian) - very good and should be at the library.

I like Elizabeth George who is a great mystery writer.

sp said...

Thanks for the title, w.c. I did get to the library and forgot the author's name once there. The one working computer was occupied so I couldn't search the title. however, I did pick up Atwood's The Penelopiad. I always loved Penelope's story in the Odyssey so this should be enjoyable. I also picked up a book on running (I just can't help myself).