Friday, July 06, 2007

"Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?"



That's right our own little corner of Whoville has its own Kwik-E-Mart. There were several opened in the states, a facade placed over existing 7-elevens, and our little Canadian town was chosen for the movie promotion cash in. I haven't been in yet to see the clerks dressed like Apu or the "Squishees" and "Buzz Cola" being sold. There was a line up to get in on day one and kids were all over the place with Squishees in their hands.

The photo taken here was an early morning on my way to work so it was calm. While the pool across the street was open and full of kids, they were all engaged in swimming lessons.


I know this is a money grabbing promotion for the Simpsons movie. I know the 7-Eleven is cashing in. Even though I know this, I also know that I am a Simpsons fan since they first aired and I know I have to go inside to see the Squishee machine and how many details they really have included that stay true to the animated Kwik-e-mart. Okay, I'm a Simpsons nerd. I admit it.

Moving on...
As a side-bar I want to draw your attention to the rhododendrons in the foreground that were still in bloom when the "landscaping" team showed up one morning to top-chop them with buzzing saws. If you don't know, you're not supposed to prune rhodos until after they bloom and you're supposed to prune them now buzz saw them. So that was about a month ago when I saw the massacre and now these poor things look so sad and areas have large brown patches. They've added the hyper-mulch look below them (kind of like the backyard here) and planted small marigolds about a foot apart from each other. It looks truly bizarre. I'll have to remember to photodoc that.

Today...
No work and it's beautiful out.

The vegan runs? I may. I'm thinking about the Okanagan marathon in October.

A writing opportunity? Perhaps. I've got to meet with a friend for further discussions.

A massage. I've decided I need to get those knots worked out in my calves. I went for a run on Monday and ouch that right calf tightened up again just like when I ran the E2E marathon.

The garden? I will definitely be out in the garden and checking on those little plants to make sure they've got all they need.


No comments: