Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mulch nightmares

The mulch haunts me. There's a thick layer in the front and back yard. After having a quick chat with our homeowners, we compromised and they're adding more mulch to the garden. I want to cry. I'm planting as fast as I can, but if I don't fill the gaps then the mulch comes in. It's looking like a shopping mall out back. Okay that's not true, it still looks like the forest for the most part, but...what can I do, they like the mulch and it's their home.

The funny thing is they appreciate and enjoy the gardening we've been doing, but they don't have the patience to wait for things to grow and develop and fill in the gaps. So last night I woke in a panic over the mulch. You know there's big problems in the world to concern me (war, global warming, animal cruelty, factory farming) and I wake in the night with mulch concerns.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like there's not mulch you can do about it. Sorry. m/d

sp said...

That is classic m/d.

Red said...

Do your homeowners live within sight of your garden? Do they have to look at it every day, thinking, "Hmm... looks a bit bare out there, let's mulch the hell out of it?" If not, maybe you can try to reason with them and project your vision for the future. Maybe in the meantime you can fill the gaps with potted plants?

mister anchovy said...

The good thing is that as the garden develops, the mulch will disappear in a sea of colour.

sp said...

red: the homeowners have a very large deck that faces the garden. I think they like the mulched look. I've tried explaining how perennials will develop and fill in the spaces, but obviously I haven't made it clear enough.

db and I have decided that we'll request the last remaining earthy area be left for us to weed (their biggest fear seems to be weeds -- some childhood trauma I suppose. I just keep trying to plant as much as possible before the mulch takes over. so I think mister anchovy you are right that more colour will dominate as the season develops.

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Oh my, too funny, I love it! I don't mean to make light of your trauma- it would make me insane as well, especially knowing that patience will make it all better. hang in there- perhaps the mulch fairy will eradicate some of it in the night?