Thursday, May 17, 2007

Plod, Paddle and Grizzlies

Wednesday's "Plod and Paddle" had enough people show up this week to include the plodding part of the journey. We walked the lovely Port Whoody inlet. It's a gentle little trail that traverses around the inlet with soft trail, a few stairs and some boardwalks over the boggy areas. This was a nice way to begin because it actually gave us a chance to chat with our friends a little more.

Once at the beach we met up with the paddle group and switched roles. I had a smaller kayak this week so it was a much better fit for me and while I found it to feel even more buoyant than before, it was easier to paddle since I was more comfortable in the boat. We headed out. I had the camera this week to give db (*note: D. will now be referred to as db -- hope this doesn't confuse anyone) a break and I knew he'd be taking the camera anyway.

I have to admit that I'm not much of picture snapper. I went on a long hike last week with a friend in this beautiful park in Whoville with many trails and small lakes and when I told db (*remember D. is now db) about the spectacular views and trails, he asked "do you have any pictures?" I didn't. I didn't even think about taking the camera. When we were in Italy on our "honeymoon" (thanks again sis!) db took all of the pictures. I had to remember to take the camera from him so we'd at least look like we'd both been to Italy. I think the only picture of the two of us together in Italy was taken in Scido, Calabria when visiting some of his family who insisted on taking a picture of the two of us together. It's a nice photo. We are, however, next to a statue of Jesus at the top of the mountain which is odd because let's just say that it's the closest db and I have been to Jesus prior to and since.

Okay, back to the kayaking. All of that is just leading up to the spectacular paddle we had. Those who had done the first leg of the paddle journey had departed the beach with excited stories of seeing seals and they saw a bald eagle out of the log drift. Ha, "newbies" I thought (now that I was on my second paddle adventure I felt like a seasoned plod and paddler).

It was a gorgeous night as you can see.



We headed across the inlet and knew we'd see seals since they hang out on the logs that seem to be anchored out in the inlet. There was little wind and we paddled into the sun.

The university team was out rowing and we got a good view of them heading out for their training. I was lagging behind because I'm the slowest paddler, but also I was taking the photos.


We paddled close to the seals and one came out to check us out. He trailed quite close behind db and I and even popped up between our kayaks at one point. It looked like Prima to me, something about the whiskers I guess.


Then our friends ahead caught sight of the eagle and we paddled towards it. Closer and closer and I kept wondering if we'd get a good look at it. Would it take off as we neared? There was an angry crow dancing in front of it making quite a racket. Would s/he frighten it away? db just caught sight of the eagle.

We kept moving towards it.

Our friends were already rounding the log drift. Now we were close and I could see it in profile and make out better details. It was thrilling. I've never been so close to an eagle.


Then we rounded right before it. I kept taking photos. As I moved to the far side of the drift I could make out its talons and feathers in detail.
It truly is a regal looking bird, the king of the skies in this part of the country really.

We drifted a little and then it took off. The wing expanse carried him over to the next set of logs where he stayed for a bit. We headed back to landing. The whole journey was quite thrilling.

I'm so glad we moved here. Enduring the months of rain through the winter has been worth it all. I've been hiking, biking, running and now paddling like never before.


***

"A fed bear is a dead bear"

So keeping on the wildlife theme....
Grizzly bears in Squamish? Apparently there hasn't been a sighting here in ten years. I didn't even think of Grizzlies being in the coast mountain area. Great. I'm concerned enough about my inevitable encounter with a black bear, but now this? How long before a Grizzly is spotted in Whoville? This poor ol' Grizzly was seen getting into some garbage which is bad news for a bear (sorry about the pop culture reference there). The plan is to trap and move the bear away from town, but I fear the worst. If this bear returns and looks "aggressive" (term chosen by the police, but as to how one decides what that means I don't know) they will "destroy" it (that means kill. I don't know why people think the word "destroy" is a more appropriate word for "kill").
I hope the Grizzly realizes how boring and pointless people are and moves far away from the town back into the mountains and valleys that are less populated.

***

6 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Great pictures, sp, especially of the eagle. Why the change of name for D/db?

sp said...

being sp, it seemed appropriate that he should be db.

Red said...

Awesome. And he looks so chilled, like, "People on my lake... should I be concerned? Nah, bebe, I've got talons."

So, you went to Italy for your honeymoon... did you perchance stop by Sicily at all? I'm thinking of it as a 10-wedding anniversary trip destination...

mister anchovy said...

Great photos, thanks for posting them!! If there is a griz around, please be careful.

sp said...

Red: sadly we did not get to Sicily. It was tough trying to decide where to go. I think Wandering Coyote told me how great Sicily was. She went. I know if we got a chance to go back we would probably just head south and make Sicily part of the plan.
When's you're anniversary? Congratulations. Sounds like a nice trip ahead for your two.

Red said...

The anniversary is on 2 August, but we had a snafu with work commitments, so we're travelling in September instead. Which I'm sure has its advantages: fewer people, not to scorcho weather and lower prices!