Monday, May 07, 2007

The Finisher at the BMO Vancouver Marathon!

As you can see it was an overcast Sunday at 7 am. There was no wind and at this point no rain. It was cool, but I wasn't chilled. I'm about mid way back from the start line. I always start mid point because I'm neither a fast nor a slow runner, but somewhere in the middle. When we run through the start line and start to open up a little I am always passed by many runners. It's hard to hold back and go slow because I know I can go faster, but I don't want to do too much too soon.

So I stuck to the plan to start out slow and keep an eye out for the 2 hour pace bunny. For those that don't know, a pace bunny is a runner with cardboard bunny ears on with the expected time through the finish line. You can follow a pace bunny and guarentee a certain timed result. D. suggested I follow the 1:45 bunny, but he headed too close to the front and I knew I couldn't keep up from the get go.

At about the 2 k mark I stopped to do my one minute walk (I train in 10 minutes of running followed by 1 minute walk breaks in between) on the viaduct and saw the 2 hr pace bunny and his followers. I picked up my pace and followed a bit. Then they stopped for their walk break so I figured I'd keep going and it'd all even out as long as I kept pace with them. Of course the bathroom break was needed by about 4 k. I had to stop and wait which is very frustrating. I lost sight of the bunny, but I got going with hopes of seeing them again. I tossed out the plan and decided to forget the 10:1 ratio and just run until I needed to stop and walk, i.e. listen to my body.

Stanley Park was beautiful. There was a light drizzle by this point as we climbed up to Prospect Point. The hill wasn't as bad as I thought and I actually ran up about 90% of it. I had to catch sight of that 2 hr bunny and I felt good. Someone called out that we were at the top of the hill so I knew the downhill was coming and sure enough we turned a bend and down we went. I kicked it in and flew. I didn't lose control, but rather picked up my pace and passed mostly everyone going down hill because I knew if I was going to find that bunny again I'd have to go for it.

We streamed out of the park, past the lagoon and along the treelined Beach to Pacific. I knew the finish line was about 4 k away and judging by my time I knew I'd have to keep pushing it to get there in 2 hours. Still no bunny and I was really moving along. I hadn't taken a walk break since the uphill in the park just after the half way point.

I forgot about looking for D. and red jane who were there to cheer me on and I focused on my race and my rhythm. Finally, about 2 k from the finish line I caught sight of that bunny and knew I could catch up because I knew that he probably had another walk break coming up while I had dropped mine all together. Sure enough I saw him walking and I made up time. With just under 1 k left I passed him and I could hear the finish line. D. caught this shot off me with my eyes focused on the end ahead of me.

I finished in 2:00:48. That's my best result since Toronto 2005. I'm very proud.

Inside the BC Place I saw the pace bunny having a snack and I thanked him. I stretched, had a snack, showered and then went for a massage under that great billowy dome with the jumbotron showing more runners pulling through the finish line. I'm proud of every one of those runners.

Red Jane brought her famous cookies full of yumminess and power for good refueling. She also made chocolate macaroons that didn't last the car ride home. It was very cool to have her there cheering me on. She's been an amazing supporter and I thank her for that.

D., my coach and partner, was relaxed and proud. He had a "I told you you could do it" for me at the end because he believes in me like no one else. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much without him and now that he's been beside me encouraging me on my training runs, I know he's with me on every run and I hear his words of encouragement when I race.

I worried that running would be something that I'd tire of and give up like I've done with other things in my life, but if anything the opposite has happened.

With the marathon in sight I feel I can do it. My sister and I have set up a fundraising page to raise money for the Fauna Foundation that provides a sanctuary for Chimpanzees. You can check out their website by clicking on the Fauna link in the sidebar.

If you haven't been contacted by me for the fundraising then watch for the link that I'm about to put up so you can click and donate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for you. I am so proud of you. I love the photo of you striding across the line so upright...I've made my donation to the fauna folks and I can't wait to see you and your coach.
Congratulations.
m/d

Wandering Coyote said...

Congrats, sp! I was thinking about you on Sunday morning, wondering how it went. I never knew there was a bunny! That's kinda funny. It's nice that they provide showers and an opportunity for a massage afterwards, too.

sp said...

There's usually a school that offers it's massage services. I had to pay for this one, but it's been free in the past at other races as long as you don't mind waiting.
Since we were in BC Place, we had access to the visiting teams locker room so that was a nice bonus since that doesn't always happen either.