Sunday, May 27, 2007

Soyanara

What's a vegan to do without her soy products? Eat more of everything else and keep reading those labels. I've been reading labels for so long that I'm like the terminator when I read. I can pick out "whey", "casein", "rennet" in a flash. Now I've added a new item to the list: "soy".

I seemed to have developed an intolerance to it or at least that's what I've concluded after having been off soy now for about two weeks. I feel better and I've stopped fearing my dinner, wondering if it's going to make me feel sick. Yeah, I'd say that's definitely a good thing.

It was difficult the first week because everything we ate often included a soy product, either tofu, tempeh or an Yves fake meat product. Removing these things from my diet made me realize how dependent I'd become on them. I never drank soy milk so that wasn't an issue. I've always thought that soy milk was disgusting (it's a texture thing). At one point I thought I should just probably go fully raw, but small steps here are needed. I'm eating lots more veg, other legumes, lots of grains (got to get those carbs in me to fuel the long distance run). And...there's the wonder food Hemp! Hemp protein contains the essential fatty and amino acids required. Sounds too good to be true? It probably is, but for now I'm going with hemp.

I've been sprinkling shelled hemp seeds on my food for some time now and I've been a devotee of Ruth's Hemp, Maca, Flax protein powder for some time. Now, I've added some hemp bars which are quite tasty (also from Ruth's). Yes, there's even hemp beer so I can even get a tiny dose of hemp in my weekend brew. I guess the overall point is I'm feeling better and that's important. With race day just a couple of weeks away I want to feel as healthy and rested as possible.

Bye-bye whipped soy, soy chocolate mousse, soy nocello gelato, belsoy chocolate pudding and noel nog. Adios scrambled tofu, veggie links, veggie salami, ground round, tvp, tempeh. Ciao frothy soy lattes on the weekend. Adieu blocks of organic tofu, soy mutton, tofurkey, tofurkey beer sausage. Farewell, soy chocolate and vanilla smoothies. Soyanara.


3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I don't think it's unusual to be intolerant to soy. I've heard of lots of people with the same problem. Soy is, really, one of the most processed foods out there, too, and even Asians don't eat tons of it.

sp said...

Yeah, I wasn't really surprised to learn that it was probably the soy. I guess the problem also has become that it's been over-processed and over-used as "meat alternative" for veg people. Once again our traditional meal-centered-around-the-meat culture sought the quick fix, looking for subs instead of just thinking about new ways of eating.

Tuco said...

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything hemp can't do! Hopefully somebody will make a bicycle out of it someday!