Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Veggie Favour worth the travel time

When D. and I rented a car this past weekend to get me from Whoville to Van city for that early Sunday morning race start time, we decided to take advantage of the vehicle and seek out some Red Fife flour. As we did circles in one little area trying to find the store that contained the 20 kilo bag of flour for D, we happened upon this veggie restaurant/cafe. Veggie Favour was a welcome surprise.

It was late afternoon and the cafe was empty. It's very new looking and as it turns out they've only been open there for a couple of months. They highlight the fact that they use organic brown sushi rice which I had never had. The sushi list was extensive and all of it I could eat! The entire menu highlighted the possible vegan options and I let the server know that I needed everything to be vegan and it was no problem.

The Miso Soup was a standard miso soup, nothing out of the ordinary. Our veggie sample plate that was an assortment of the "fake meats" with some greens in the middle. It was very clean tasting and by that I mean there was no sense of too much oil, salt, or fake flavouring or fillers. When I read the ingredients I realized that there is no gluten in their products which is a nice change from the usual fake meat products that I find elsewhere. For sushi we ordered an avocado and asparagus roll, a Shitake roll and a Unagi roll. Each one came drizzled with a mango sauce and organic ginger on the side (the kind that isn't that odd pink colour, but rather a natural ginger colour. We were so happy to see that). The owner couldn't assure me that the unagi would be vegan and suggested the salmon roll instead. She also said the salmon tasted better. I had to take her word for it. She offered us some tamari on the side, but by then we were well into our sushi and honestly I didn't want to ruin the flavours with a dousing of tamari, it just seemed wrong for this food. Overall D. and I preferred the salmon roll with the veggies and a generous helping of mango sauce.
All the ingredients tasted very fresh and the rice was superb. Again, the food was lovely and everything was presented beautifully. I had a sense of great care going into each dish.

The co-owner came over and talked to us for a bit about the food and how carefully they are about selecting ingredients.

I'd go back but it is so far away. Next trip with a car when we go to pick up the flour, we'll have to go. Or maybe they'll open one in Whoville someday.

No comments: