Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Vegan Runner countdown

I'm thinkng more and more about the Edge to Edge Marathon. Usually, I always qualify the title of the event by saying, "I'm actually running the half marathon." It's dawning on me that I'm going the full distance now.

Sunday is my last really long distance before the race and I'm nervous just thinking about it. I get inspiration from the fund-raising because I just think of the chimps and helping improve their lives at Fauna. I get inspiration from my sister and her first half marathon she will be running. I'm so proud of her for sticking to her training. After all she was inspiration to run to begin with. I get inspiration from my mom's friend, B.F., and ultramarathoner, who ran the Paris marathon and then got on a plane the same day and flew to Boston just to run Boston the next day! I get inspiration from the support of everyone who tells me I can do it. Also, I'm getting good advice from db (my coach and partner), good advice from my online clinic instructor, good advice from reading and other runners I encounter. However, none of it calms me because in the end I have to run the distance and I have to summon all my strength mentally and physically to get to the end.

So tomorrow is like a pre-race trial. It's supposed to rain, but I tell myself that training in all weather makes me stronger and race day could be the very same weather. So tomorrow when I put on my running clothes, have a sip of water and tie up my shoes I'll be thinking of Tofino and pretending it's my day. Hopefully that way I can begin to visualize myself to the end.

Run vegan run.

No comments: