Thursday, May 10, 2007

Plod and Paddle...or just paddle and paddle




Wedesday evenings is "Plod and Paddle" night at the inlet just down the road from us. We had planned to go with some friends last week. I was pretty tired after having a tough training session and when D. and I got on our bikes to head down to the inlet I could feel my legs refusing to do much more. So I was hoping that the "plod" side of the trip wouldn't be too taxing.

The idea is that you paddle around and across the inlet where you meet up with the "plodders" who have hiked around the inlet and you switch roles so the plodders take the kayaks and the kayakers take to the trail. However, when we arrived, the owner said there wouldn't be enough people on the other side of the inlet so we could paddle the whole time if we wanted. Hurray! I wouldn't have to use my legs at all.

I've never kayaked, nor has D. and I was a little nervous, but our friends assured us that everything would be fine. I've been in a canoe many times, but always with another person. I've rowed unsuccessfully in my brother's boat, mostly doing circles on the lake, but I've never kayaked. I have to say that I felt a little shaky at the beginning because the craft is so light and bobs around like a buoy, but then I relaxed a little and got use to the strokes and away we went.


There was a bit of a wind going up the inlet, but not too taxing. D. and I zig-zagged along while the rest cruised, but it was so much fun. There were lots of harbor seals lying out on a landing in the middle of the inlet. A couple of seals checked us out from a safe distance which was pretty cool.


It was a perfectly beautiful evening with the sun laying low in just behind the mountains so that there was a crisp line of the mountains and not a cloud in the sky.

My family will be visiting in June and we have to go out and do this. I think my brother will really enjoy it. He's not a swimmer, but I think he and his girlfriend could take one of the double boats and really cruise around. I'll add it to the list of things we should do and see.

3 comments:

Red said...

I never cease to be amazed by how active and fit you are. And the weather seems so conducive to being out and about... and there were seals! How wonderful!

I have been working 14-hour days this week, so I feel like my bum has literally melted into my chair. But I can look at that fabulous water you're paddling on and I feel alive again! Great pix, sp.

sp said...

thanks Red. 14 hours days! Aaaah that's intense. I hope you get another holiday soon.

Wandering Coyote said...

I have always wanted to kayak! It looks so relaxing, and I just love being on the water. And I love harbour seals! They are so cute.