Sunday, May 20, 2007

And Run I did...

...or "wet hell" as db refers to this morning's run. As db just said "I didn't know your extremities could freeze in 8 degree weather." I was actually okay. db however, was on his bike so he wasn't generating the heat I was. I only got cold at the end when I started to shut down and my body was saying "nope, that's enough for the day". I was soaked through by that point.

At 7 am it was quite nice outside. A peaceful morning with just a little cloud in the sky and fairly bright so I wasn't concerned. Last night db and I talked about whether I should run today or tomorrow since the weather looked like it would be miserable today and quite nice on Monday. I decided at 6 am that we should go for it. So I had a little porridge and a shot of espresso (yes, that is how I often start my running day. Don't worry I hydrate plenty all week) and away we went.

We had mostly uphill at the beginning and then it evened out after that, but then the rain came. At the 12 k mark I had to stop because it was raining so hard. db and I waited in a bus shelter for it to "let up". It didn't. I thought we should at least head for an indoors location to wait it out or decide that we should call it a day and then I could run the rest the next morning. When we headed out after a 15 minute delay, I waved db on and kept going. The rain eased (after all Tofino - Ucluelet could be just like today) and I hit my stride again.

At 26 k, a new problem came up as my body was tiring and the muscles cold. I started to tire more quickly. I walked and ran. Then the rain started up again with only 6 k left. I struggled through it to finish my 32 k. db pushed me and encouraged me through to the end. I'll have to think of him with me when the event comes up.

So how do you recover from that? You take a trip to a gardening store. We travelled far out of little neighbourhood to the Natural Gardener. Heaven. It's a small space, but it is chock-full of treasures. While db picked out his heirloom tomatoes that are perfect for our cooler climate, I selected herbs and perennials for our shady garden and for our containers that can be in the more sunnier areas. Marjoram and chives were necessary and then I found a blood-veined sorrel I've never seen before. I also picked up another arugula (or rocket, rucola whatever you like to call it) but it has a purple green hue to the leaves and feels slightly thicker. I suspect it will do okay in part shade like it's green counterpart. As for perennials: woolly thyme, toad lilies and a purple Ligularia were my prized choices. My sis planted toad lilies in the garden last year and they were exquisite so when I found them here and learned that they are shade tolerant I snapped them up.

Yes, tomorrow will be gardening day. I hope we get the sun promised because I can't wait to start planning and digging.

The other way to recover fully from a 32 k run is to have Sunday night pasta. Porcini, crimini, almond cream, tomato vodka sauce atop gemelli pasta. A perfect end to the day.

We walked up the final hill home, exhauted, soaked through, cold and spent. I think it may just have been one of those runs that builds mental toughness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As our super woman running friend said after your first 32 k, she's there! Good for you and thanks to db for all that support, albeit chilly support...he's a hero too. Now you are prepared for all kinds of weather. But my bets are the day of the big race will be nice. Crois les doigts. Bon chance!
m/d

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

wow- I'm cold, wet and tired just reading this! You'll be great- it's all coming together as planned. And you're right- the weathe could be just lliek that so now you've prepped for the worst. You're set.

mister anchovy said...

This running business is pretty amazing...good for you!

On arugula.... I can't grow it. There is something in my soil that devours every bit of the stuff I plant. It doesn't happen to spinach or lettuce or my tomatoes and peppers. My basilica and all my herbs are fine. But I can't grow arugula. I've tried several times, and the leaves get destroyed in days.

Any suggestions (I don't use pesticides!)?

sp said...

mister anchovy: we're organic gardeners so no worries, we know that pesticides are no solution).

My first question is what do you mean by "devour"? Are there holes in the leaves, is it being eaten back to the roots or is it just turning black or yellow and dying off?

Wandering Coyote said...

I'm again impressed by your dedication, sp.

sp said...

thanks w.c. and r.j. I'm still having a hard time fully believing in myself, but I think once the day gets closer I'll be more mentally prepared as well.

sp said...

m/d: it's been so great having db through the toughest of the training. When we got home after that grueling run he said "it must be love." So now we know why he's out there, so what's my reason? Just kidding. Running for the chimps is motivation enough for me.