Friday, June 01, 2007

doe a deer a female deer...

Actually it was a buck. If my father or brother were here (both former hunters) they could tell me the weight and points of the buck.

I ran a bit later last night, putting it off, putting it off and putting it off until I finally went out and ran. I was walking the last bit of hill at the end of my run and heard the SUV that had just passed me screech to a halt. When I looked back I saw a buck trot across the road and head toward the path that runs along the power lines (it's called the power crunch here because of the pebbled path that climbs up the mountain). I walked back down the hill a little to see if I could catch sight of it walking up the path, but lo and behold it was standing in the yard next to the path, munching on the new young foliage in someone's garden. It didn't seem to care about me or the traffic going past.

I sprinted up the hill (proof that I did have a little left in the tank after all -- I had no idea I could run up that hill so fast) to fetch db. He had to see this. db said, "the camera, where's the camera." I said, "I don't know, it doesn't matter anyway. Let's go."
I was just hoping the deer would still be there by the time we got back. Just five or six houses down and there it was. It stopped munching to look at us. We crossed the street so we could be directly across from it and watch. It was very aware of us watching though. A man and his son crossed the street, following the crunch path up and walked right past the deer without even noticing it. db and I finally left the deer to continue it's dinner.

1 comment:

Wandering Coyote said...

Nice! It's always great to see wildlife, even if it's in an urban area. When we had the bear incident a couple weeks ago, I was grateful to see the bear as I hadn't been that close to one ever, but on the other hand, that was bad for the bear, and I totally acknowledge that.

Keep that camera in a handy spot from now on!