Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Edge to Edge results are in

results:

I placed 82nd out of 133 marathon runners. I was 21st out of 32 in my age
group
(Female 0-39).

My time was: 4:30:24. My goal was to finish is 4:30. I went out strong at
the
beginning because the Tofino stretch is pretty flat. Ucluelet is another
story.
It undulates and rolls and curves all over. After running 33k, facing
big rolling
hills is not an easy task.Even though I wasn't focused on my
time too much, I
would notice that I was hitting my times at the right
marks just by running
my own race.

At 8 k my right calf cramped up and I pretty much ran in pain for the rest
of the way, but the desire to finish, to run to raise money for Fauna and
to run this particular race for a full marathon distance was keeping my
mind off the pain kept me focused on the goal. db and P. tracked me
every
5 k for the whole thing. The rest of my family caught up at about
the
26 or 27k mark (after my sis finished her half marathon
in Ucluelet! She did a whopping 1:59:40 for her first half marathon ever!
It was a proud weekend).

I'm thrilled. I finished. All the hard work, injuries, being unable to
properly hill train or do speed work and yet I still managed to finish
one of the toughest courses in Canada.

I'll write more later about the fund raising side of it, but for now here
are some pics.

A nice and small start line with everyone milling about.


At 4 k we ran on the beach for a short stretch. The sand is very packed and
it's quite nice to run on really. db and I were married here 8 years ago so
this was quite emotional for me to return to this special place.
The bulk of the race was along the road that runs between the two towns and through
the Pacific Rim National Park. It was gorgeous there. Despite the wet pavement, it
didn't rain. The rain held off and by the end the sun was out.

db did a little beach tour while sis and I recouped back in our rooms. Sis actually
ran the trail along this beach. I hope to get back one day and walk it.

My favorite place.



starfish. I missed that! D'oh!

5 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Awesome, sp! I knew you could do it - and exactly on target, too! Sorry about the calf, though; that must have been frustrating.

On another note, for some reason your post is cutting off at the right-hand edge on my computer....something to do with the formatting, I suppose, so I couldn't read the whole post. Is it my computer, or do you see this, too?

Anonymous said...

The trip was highlighted by seeing you two girls come across the finish line. I'm so proud of you both!
m/d

sp said...

Thanks. I don't know what's going on with the formatting on this. I tried fixing it, but it's all wonky and won't re-set properly. Odd.

Wandering Coyote said...

You must have done something because it's way better now.

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Yay! I was moved to tears reading this and seeingthe photos- I am so proud of you both and expecially you for finishing this mountainous run- yay!