Sunday, April 01, 2007

I run therefore I am.

I did it! This morning I ran with no plan in mind. All I wanted to achieve was getting outside to run and run I did. I was quite fearful when I woke up and had all kinds of reservations about going outside for a run. The last long distance I had done wasn't a good run and I struggled much of the way, wondering if I should quit or not. That was a sign at the time and shortly after that my Achilles started to ache. So this morning I talked to D. and tried to get over my fears, but the only way to get over the fear was to go out and do it.

With a nice, easy walk to get me going, I started to run just to warm up a little since the air was fairly cool and I was wearing shorts. Then, I just kept going at a slower than normal and easy pace. It felt really good. I didn't even think about my run/walk system. All I thought about were the last words D. said to me at the door "just have fun" and I did. Next thing I know I'm 45 minutes into a run and wondering if I should head home or not. I did because I didn't want to overdo it and then around 55 minutes I started to feel the Achilles pain so I was glad I was on my way home.

Any event I participate in I want to run with this attitude. I just want to have fun and finish the race. It's so much fun to run a race with so many runners with so many different goals and reasons for running. I want to be a part of that. I love roads being shut down so people can run simply because we enjoy it. I love those quiet moments when the "pack" thins out and I can hear my breath and the rhythm of my feet. I love the moments when I'm not even aware of my body and I glide along in an even pace without having to worry about form, breath or the hill up ahead. Those are the moments I run for. Those are the moments I race for.

I ran over 10 k this morning. While this wasn't my scheduled distance, it was the furthest I've run since the injury. The cross-training and strength training have definitely helped. I felt fit going out today. I was also trying out a new electrolyte replenishing drink called Refresh. I found it at MEC as it was recommended by one of the staff there. I was drawn to a product called "Rain". I guess I have rain on the brain out here so it seemed like it might be a good fit. The MEC staffer suggested Refresh. Red jane was with me and pointed out the order of ingredients was a better option so that was a good thing. Then when I read the label I saw that it was made here in whoville so I was sold. It's so nice not to use Gatorade (yuck) or it's other drink Propel. I had tried another electrolyte replacement drink that the Running Room was promoting, but then found out it had aspartame in it. Double Yuck. So I'll stick with the Refresh for the long distances.

Anywho...once at home, I did my usual stretching and a little core work before showering. We finished off D's bagels and he made me a beautiful coffee. Then I just put some heat on the Achilles and rested it until Svetlana came along and decided she needed to sleep on the heating pad. She's 18 and I'm not going to argue with an old kitty like her. She can have whatever she wants at this point. I just want her to be comfortable.

Now I'm excited about my running again. As long as I continue to listen to my body and build up my distance again gradually I should be okay.

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Wow - how excellent for you! "Feel the fear and do it anyway," right?

sp said...

That seems to be the gist of it. Thanks for the support.