Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Happy Friday the 13th! Anything strange happen to anyone? So far my day has been uneventful. My bus never showed, but that's nothing unusual really.

It's been ages since I've seen the film Friday the 13th. I revisited it when I was studying horror films. It amused me more than anything and I may have fast forwarded through parts of it. I was watching a lot of films at the time, especially horror -- not really an excuse though because I would sit through a lot of films and not feel the need to fast forward -- but Friday the 13th did make me hit that button just like The Amityville Horror caused me to fast forward. The original was dead boring. Again, it seemed scarier at the time it was released but it doesn't last while other films from that era are still creepy.

Friday the 13th was a big deal when I saw it on video as a teen. It seemed so scary at the time and now it seems so tame (at least the original). The character of Jason evolved and that character's lasting effect is significant and probably there's an essay out there somewhere on that character. Here's a link that shows the film being referenced on t.v. and that's just one form of media. There are other references on the site as well that demonstrate this films lasting effect.


No comments: