Thursday, April 05, 2007

Along my bus route is a hospital, most of which is not used anymore that is evident by the broken windows of the large, cavernous brick buildings that identify the hospital for what it once was, an institution. I imagine polished wood floors and dully painted plaster walls with harsh lighting and impersonal spaces. Some of the newer buildings are still operating and appear to house many people dealing with mental illnesses. These newer buildings are called "cottages" but look like very standard 70s two-storey houses and, on the occasion when I can see through the windows as the bus passes by, seem to be no more inviting inside than the brick buildings. At least the hospital is there and exists for people who need it.

Anywho...the grounds on which this hospital exists are stunning. There are trees there that seem to exist no where else in this area, probably because it's one of the few areas that have remained hospital property and thus not part of the heavily logged regions here. While the bus travels through the grounds I am usually taking advantage of the travel time to read. However, yesterday I took a pause from my book to look at the trees again since they are changing rapidly now as the leaves are starting to come out and the cherry blossoms are in full bloom now. Along the route I noticed two massive Magnolia trees, the size of which I've never seen before. They must be at least 40 years old. Imagine a maple tree of that age that you've seen and then picture that with Magnolia blossoms about to open on it. It made me quite eager to bike through the grounds and really take the time to enjoy it almost as a park. I expect there will be photos to follow soon.

***

So, I'm headed out in the heat for my run today. It's unbelievably warm. I'm going to try a new route that seems to roll a little more. I've been sticking to the fairly flat surfaces as much as possible to not stress out my Achilles too much. Every run I'm taking one step at a time and if at any time I feel pain, I reassess and figure out if I can and should continue running. Hopefully I'll have another great run today.


No comments: