Sunday, April 29, 2007

In the garden





Remember these photos?






















Now look what we've done. I'm just adding the final touches to this afternoons work.

While D. was laying out the stone for our future sitting/eating area, I went to work on the planting of a few perennials. I put a blue flowering hydrangea closest to the compost bin because I tried this in our last garden and the effect of blocking the view of the black plastic bin worked quite well.
I also put in a pink bleeding heart since this is quite a shady spot and then the hosta next to that. The larger rocks in the foreground here are just temporarily there while we decide where they are needed. But this next shot shows more of what we're aiming for. I put some irish moss (that someone from work gave me) and some creeping charlie at the front of this newly bedded area so that should fill in nicely to cover the front with some greenery.

While the rocks on the left here aren't necessarily staying, you can get a view of our new patio and where the garden will continue on down past the watering can.

Then I felt that I didn't want the path to end at the compost bin (not a great end to a walk really unless you're getting finished compost) so I opted for a smaller path leading to the grass where I'm taking the shot. The reason for the placement here was that once you cross the lawn there are more stone steps leading to the lower leve and play area so I wanted the two areas to connect and that way you can just cross the lawn and go look at an area of the garden if you wish.
No the pink bucket and yellow trowel don't belong to us. They belong to the 2 and half year old (Gigi) who lives upstairs. She's been digging in the sand here. I'd leave it for her, but her parents are putting in a sandbox on the lower level near her pool. I guess that makes more sense so they can sit on their deck and keep an eye on her and she can run freely.

So between the path and the patio, who knows? If we owned the place I'd invest in a water feature or extend the patio and make it more permanent, but we don't own the place so something else...maybe just some planters with some tasty edibles that can grow in a shadier area (kale, spinach, chard).

To the right of the path in the above shot I expect I'll add more soil and continue planting. The rock wall is just further right so I'd like to get some lilies and ligularia in there, maybe some rudbeckia and cranesbill. Sounds like I'm already making the plan. I'm starting to like the planter idea along the path. Hmm?

We also moved a hosta from a very sunny spot in the front to a side shady area with two other hostas. It's a sad looking little bed, but I'm not sure what I can bring to that right now. No one sees it and it's very dark. Sis will probably have an idea for it.

Finally, I planted some lilies on the downslope in a sunnier area. They will line the path as long as they make it and they're yellow so that could be quite inviting as you walk up the steps to the newly gardened area or to drop off your kitchen waste.

***

In other news today in whoville...

the big run!
I did 32 k. Phew. The last 4 was tough. We went for flat and paved today, none of this hilly, and pebbly shite. We took the trans Canada trail briefly and it was firm, flat ground, like a narrow country road.























D. took some photos of me running because who knows if I'll ever train for this distance again. We may as well get some images from our Sunday distance tours together.


As we ran (or I ran and D cycled), we were admiring the horses grazing in a field and then lo and behold we surprised a coyote. Yes, another one. It darted into the horse pasture away from us and watched us until we were out of sight.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Photos!. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it.
Its great checking in and seeing what your up to.
Best,
Renay

sp said...

So good to hear from you Renay. Say hello from sis and I to the family.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what the rest of your garden is going to look like! Do you have any tips or can you recommend any books for starting a garden? I'm planning to completely raze my backyard this year and start from scratch...

mister anchovy said...

Here's a garden book recommendation: From the Ground Up, by Amy Stewart. It's the story of a first garden, and it is delightful.

sp said...

Marjorie Harris is a good author. She has some fabulous books and is a good writer as well so it's always a good read. I find her really inspirational.

Wandering Coyote said...

Nice coyote pic!