Monday, April 09, 2007

Trail biking

In the middle of doing our taxes today I suggested we get outside and enjoy the sun. I could tell that it was going to be yet another temporary break in the rainy overcast weather and if we didn't go out and enjoy it then we'd miss it. It took a little convincing. Once D. is on a project he doesn't like to stop (Virgo!) and we were well into our Schedule 1s when I threw a wrench into the plan.

Once we were outside we knew it was worth it. We biked to the trail that runs along the Whoville river and meanders through a couple of towns. The river was flowing quite rapidly and the ducks we saw floating downstream seemed to really be enjoying themselves riding the currents. Of course I have no pictures to show because I forgot to take the camera. I'm just not in the habit of having my camera on me and thus there are no scenic shots for the blog. Oh well. You'll have to take my word for it that it's a lovely trail and some of it is very narrow with large moss covered trees reaching up overhead.

There were quite a few people on the trail. I said hello to everyone and everyone says hello as well. It seems necessary for some reason. What's the etiquette on this anyway? I never said hello to people in High Park except for the runners since most runners always say hello to other runners. It's understood that this is done. D. and I biked past a couple and their boxer dog and we all exchanged hellos and I thanked them for stepping aside to let us pass. Then we did a little switchback and encountered them again, but this time no hellos were exchanged. They didn't even make eye contact with me. Can you only say hello once? Again what's the etiquette here? I'm not worrying about it too much, but I'm a little more aware since Whoville is a smaller town and people do tend to say hello to one another. Or at least it seems if you're on a trail or a small side street a hello can be used, but if you're on a main street forget it.

Anywho...it is rare that we have two days off together and while it seemed practical to take advantage of this bonus time and complete our taxes, it also seemed like a waste of a perfectly lazy day. In the end we achieved both and we both learned that we're getting refunds. Woohoo!

No comments: