Sunday, April 08, 2007

18 k! My goals can be reached!

Ran a new route today that took me into an area of Whoville I'd never seen which was interesting. Since Sunday is typically the day of my longest run and I knew I'd be aiming for 19 k, I decided that new scenery would keep me having fun since there would be lots to look at.

It was raining when I got up this morning, but I knew if I waited it out I might get lucky and have a window of good weather. At least it's a lot warmer now. I don't dread that initial shock of cold when I step out the door that of course goes away after 10 minutes of running. Anywho...just as I had hoped the rain let up, the sky broke and we even had a little sun. I made sure I was well hydrated and dressed for the long run.

I walked down the hill to warm up and then started off slow. Soon I was over the bridge and the Whoville river and into new and undiscovered terrain. I saw a bunny along one road. It was scampering down the roadside, delivering Easter eggs I suppose. Eventually the sidewalk ended and I was running on a pretty quiet roadside that was quite pretty. When I turned back I realized that the route intersected with the trans Canada trail. Next time I'll run the trail. Once my Achilles feels 100% I'll try the trail.

As I made my way back I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe how good I was feeling and I felt like I could keep going. I considered this briefly, but knew it'd be better to go home and take it easy. I don't want to do too much too quickly.

In the end I completed 18 k. I have a half marathon in four weeks so now I believe I can achieve this.


No comments: