Thursday, March 29, 2007

Consuming with more awareness

Okay I know I just recently put up a post about consuming less and now I'm about to write about what I consumed recently. You can read what you want into that and surf elsewhere or you can just read on.

I've been a label reader ever since I became vegetarian at the rebellious age of 15. So I've always been interested in what ingredients are what and this evolved to household cleaners, and my shampoos and make up. It seems so second nature to me to pick up a product and look at the back label to find out what is in it. After talking to people at work I realized that many people don't read labels and have very little information on what's in their food and some don't want to know. They buy the same products they've always bought, standing behind a brand without really knowing why. I suspect advertising has much to do with this. I've always thought that if it's being advertised on t.v. then I most likely shouldn't buy it.

So if I've been trying to keep up to date on what's in my food and household products including how it is produced then shouldn't I be doing the same for my clothing? I slowly went through the elimination process of removing animal products from my apparel with wool being the last thing to go a couple of years ago. This has been liberating and in the process I have discovered all the wonderful and creative products out there that are cruelty free and/or made sustainably and/or of recycled materials. It has also led me to try and shop from smaller businesses thus avoiding the chains and big box stores. However, my home economics and being a product of a consumer culture has led me to those stores that in my gut I know I shouldn't be supporting with my hard earned cash.

I've been an avid second hand clothing shopper as long as I can remember, but I've been ignoring my guilty conscience whenever I've walked into a Gap, Smart Set or Wal-Mart. My relationship with Wal-Mart has definitely been over for some time now because I simply couldn't ignore their destructive business practices that is unfair to its employees. I can't ignore Wal-Marts union busting tactics, its environtmentally destructive practices and the fact that it's chock full of products that originate from some of the worst factory sweatshops in China. Reading Wal*Mart: the Bully of Bentonville has certainly solidified my distrust of this company. So why should I trust anyone else? The bottom line is that I no longer do. And I've made a decision to consume with more awareness of where the product is made and of what materials it is made of.

In a recent trip into Van city I met up with red jane and we walked and walked on a beautiful sunny day. We walked to MEC since I was in need of some new running supplies. I walked out of there with everything made in Canada. I've promised myself that I'm never buying Adidas, Nike or any of those big sportswear companies that make everything overseas and have all been questioned about their relationships with sweatshops. With D. buying my running shoes on ebay they're almost second hand, but I'll need to reconcile this with myself before I think about getting more. People often refer me to New Balance because they're supposed to be better, but research has proven that this is not so. At least for apparel MEC seems to be making a strong effort to work with factories to improve the conditions for workers.

Ultimately, this may make me consume less since I can't walk into any store and buy whatever. I have to really think about what I need (as opposed to shopping on impulse) and if it is produced in a manner that I can feel okay with.

Sitting in my office I look around and see all the stuff that I have accumulated without thought to where it came from. I don't even think of D. and I as people who have a lot, but nonetheless all the little stuff adds up. Taking another look I'm also glad to see a lot of found items and handmade things and this is just in my office. For example, D. made my desk, the dresser I keep linen in we found on the street, the bookcase belonged to my sister, P. and my mum gave me the guitar that was made in Quebec, my sewing machine was also a street find, the rocking chair we found in the alley behind our house, the pottery and paper sculptures are handmade by P.
So it's not all bad. Is it?

I guess I'm pledging in this post to do better and to be more kind to not only animals but to humans and the planet as well. It feels like a small step in a bigger process for me.

If you're interested Co-op America is a good site for info on North American companies. I've included them as a link in my compassion side bar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a new little book out now. I think it is called" A Better World" shopping guide. Small, with an orange cover. It is circulating in Mtl. right now. Mtl. is possibly the worst for waste in every sense. I am resorting to a worm composter bin, which apparently works well!
L.

sp said...

L: I'll look for the book, or if you have it could you photocopy it?
Mtl does have an incredible "street recycling" though. It still amazes me that when mum wants to get rid of something she'll say "I just put it on the street and it was gone in an hour." There's something to be said for that I think. I've never seen another city like it.

worm composting is supposed to be great. I have a whole book on composting if you need any more info. Yup, there's nothing like a good read from the ol' composting book at bed time.