Sunday, March 18, 2007

Just a thought

What if we consume less? What if we shop less because we realize we need less? What if we bought locally because we were thinking of our impact globally?

Everyone seems to be talking about topics I’m interested in, and I hear words such as, windpower, organics, sustainability, greenhouse gasses and global warming as part of our everyday lexicon now. I must admit that initially when the media, federal, provincial and municipal governments all started talking about “going green” it made me a little queasy. I was feeling a little green so-to-speak. It seemed like there was nothing else going on in the world and the environment was the latest disaster. My fear was that this too was a wave of discussion and eventually it would become a memory for next years news broadcast that would begin “Remember when everyone was talking about going green?” Actually the recent swell of environmental interest made me angry because I felt like everyone was finally paying attention to what environmentalists have been talking about for years and it was “too little too late.” However, I am an optimist and I believe in the potential of humanity to create and act in a positive way in order to change.

While I don’t think that “green” is the optimal term to use, I am using it because it does suggest an outcome or environmental benefit that we can all relate to at the moment. Past experience has taught me that the over-use of a term can lead to it losing all meaning. Hopefully the prevalent use of this word won’t lead to it being co-opted by large companies where the term becomes watered down so that the company can twist the word to suggest that their mass production and rapid consumption is good for everybody.

I don’t expect a global greening all at once. Change takes time and effort. My own greening began with my grandmother taking her own shopping bags when plastic grocery bags took over from paper. At first I was just an embarrassed kid because she was doing what others weren’t and I didn’t want to stand out as unusual. Of course that changed quickly when I became vegetarian in high school and chose to stand out in carnivore culture. As far as I know I was the only veg in my school of about 1500. I’m supposing this because I know veggies have a way of finding each other. In university I became friends with an environmental studies student and I learned much from her. I read the Safe Shoppers Bible and moved away from grocery store cleaners, drugstore make-up and shampoos. Yes, this cost me more and I have always paid more for my food and household products, but I’ve always told myself that I have to pay to make my impact on the environment less. Seems odd I suppose.

I’m not very “green” in many ways, but I always strive to be. To a certain extent my income has dictated how I live. I’ve never owned a car because I can’t afford it. If I could afford it would I own one? I don’t think so because I’ve seen people in my income bracket scrimp and save and go into debt so they could get a car. That drive has never been in me. I’ve always biked as a means of transportation or, in bad weather, taken public transit. When I need to I rent a vehicle and I must say I loathe having the responsibility of it.

Backing up a bit, what does this green talk achieve? Everyone talks about what they can do to make their impact less damaging. I am glad to hear people just talking about such issues since dialogue brings awareness and can generate ideas for (hopefully) an improvement in how we live with the planet. We are inextricably linked to the planet. Our survival depends on the planet’s survival. Talk is wonderful, but I’m hoping to see some more concrete action. We need to act now.

We are a consumption culture and we can live with so very little. I believe that part of trying to be greener and live with a less damaging impact to the environment goes beyond buying the right light bulb or a fuel efficient car, I’d like to see more radical thinking like buying less in general. If people made a conscious effort to buy less wouldn’t the benefits to the earth be significant? Do we really need so much? I’d like to see everybody really be aware when they shop. Ask yourself do I really need this? Part of the reason we are in the mess we are in is because we want everything at our fingertips and we want it now. We’ve become obsessed with material wealth and when that goes out of style we get something else, something newer.

I know that practicality is an issue and we don’t all have the choice to shop around for organics or green products, but maybe it’s just a matter of buying locally. Here at home we’ve been long time shoppers of organic produce delivery service and our new service indicates what items are local. Each time we get a delivery we get the amount of kilometers our food traveled to reach us. Part of what I’ve learned is that perhaps we can eat more locally grown foods and thus more seasonally. Do I need oranges in January? No. Apples are abundant here locally so I’ve chosen to eat more apples. It’s never been at the top of my list as far as fruit goes, but now that I’ve been eating them more I’ve discovered many varieties and the subtleties of their flavours and textures. Root vegetables through the winter are also abundant and it causes me to learn new ways to cook with them. Soups and stews are great with root veggies and are the perfect food in the winter. Maybe there’s a farmers market near where you live that you could check out.

Perhaps I’m a little all over the place here, but these things have been on my mind for so long and rather than yammering on to D. about all of this yet again, I thought I should put it out there to those that read the blog. I hope it inspires and hopefully you can give me suggestions. For example, while my food may not have traveled so far, what about my clothes? Recently, I went to Winners to try and find some pants for work and my intention was to not buy anything made in China. It didn’t take me long to get out of there because everything was made in China, Bangladesh, Taiwan or Mexico. Hmm. I did find a pair of pants on sale at MEC that were made in the USA and now I wish I had gotten two pairs because they’re great and they’re organic cotton. They’ll just have to last a little longer. I’ll save money in the end I suppose.

I started out by talking about consuming less and ended up talking about what I consume. Yes, we need to consume to live our lives as we do, but I guess it’s about being an aware consumer and not just buying because it’s in the bin for 2.99 or maybe we just need to simply make the choice to not walk into Wal-Mart, but rather going to a smaller local shop.

I guess it’s not really radical thinking in the end, but rather just being aware of our quality of life for us and for every living creature in the world. What we choose affects everyone else does it not?

Remember in Whoville how all the Whos didn’t care that all their belongings were gone when Christmas arrived? Their gifts and roast beasts had been stolen and not one Who cried “boo-hoo-hoo.” This puzzled the Grinch, but like the Grinch I think we need to be more like the Whos down in Whoville (except for the eating roast beast of course) and remember that each day is about something much more. It’s how we live our lives and the quality of that life that matters. As a result won’t we be greener?

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

My parents had lots of stuff. But years after my mom had died and my dad was old and suffering from dementia in a nursing home, not one bit of that stuff mattered one iota. The only thing that mattered was that somebody would come and relieve his lonliness and tell him stories and read him books and bring him and his wheelchair out for dinner and a stiff drink somewhere. That was a big lesson for me. Stuff is fine, but it doesn't mean squat - not even the new button accordion I covet...

Unknown said...

Wow this is exactly the sort of thing I struggle with all the time. Being a consumer that doesn't have a ton of money but at the same time wanting to buy products that encourage sustainable communities both for my community and all the other communities the product touched along the way to the retailer shelf. I work at the International Labor Rights Fund and the most common question we are asked is "Where should I go to buy my clothes so they aren't made in a sweatshop?" and so I wanted to share this link with others who are looking for ways to be better consumers. Go to www.sweatfree.org/shopping for a list of sweatshop free apparel options and you can check out LaborRights.org to learn more about the unbelievable conditions that workers around the world face everyday because of American consumerism.

sp said...

thanks Trina for the links.