Friday, January 27, 2006

"When you are dealing with language, there is no edge that the picture drops over or drops off. You are dealing with something completely infinite. Language, because it is the most non-objective thing we have ever developed in this world, never stops."

- Lawrence Weiner in Art Without Space, broadcast symposium, 1969

I may have mentioned Lawrence Weiner in an earlier post, but I can't remember. I've recently discovered his work and am completely taken with it for reasons I may get into later.

I came across this following piece in the AGO collection.

Many Things Brought from One Climate to
Another to make a Grouping of Things not
Related to the Climate at Hand

-Weiner 1981

2 comments:

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

I like it! I'm looking forward to learning more about him. Share, share!
Especially the concept of language being infinate and completely subjective, therefore incredibly powerful and capable of illiciting great change and response. I love the quote. It makes me want to explore language in multiple forms because it has such possibility, don't you think?

sp said...

I'm still exploring his work. It's pretty new to me. I do know that his work became based on the premise:
1. The artist may construct the work
2. the work may be fabricated
3. the work need not be built.

If you want to check out more, this is a good site is www.diacenter.org/exhibits/weiner/displacement