Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Let's recap...
In comes the New Year!
As I begin to do my 10% mileage increase in running, I notice my achilles hurts when I reach about the 4 km mark. So, I rest it and then start back by doing some strength training and minimal cross-training.
Then...I go to fluville.
My planned marathon training schedule gets thrown off. So, I need to come up with a new plan for my running/training for 2006, which means changing my goals.

Then...Rupert goes missing and I can't believe he's out in whoville somewhere! Okay, I do find him, but not before he's gone for at least 16 hours and his mum is away and it does seem like the nightmare will not end. When I do find him he's a wild cat who doesn't recognize me. The only thing I have to reason with him is a tin of wet food. He's reluctant to go for my trap, but it works and I grab him. He flips out in my arms and I just get him inside the door before losing hold of him. He'd been hiding under the garage all night. The skunks or raccoons have dug out a place to crawl under the garage for safety. I'm so relieved that space was there for Rupert to hide in. Poor Rupert. Fortunately, in an attempt to distract myself while I took a break from looking for him, I researched escaping cats on the internet and discovered that indoor cats rarely stray more than a house away from home because they're so freaked out. One site says to be aggressive in my search because the cat probably isn't far and to remember to take moments to listen for any quiet meows. This is the only reassurance I have. In the end, it is probably how I find Rupert. I discovered the spot near the garage, put food out, called and then listened. I heard a faint meow and then Rupert appeared shortly after, wild eyed and bushy tailed.

Then...
yesterday I'm putting out the garbage and with no great effort, I manage to strain my back. Suddenly, I can't straighten up. I can't do much of anything in fact except try and find ways to be comfortable. Today, I'm stuck inside with ice packs and a heating pad to try and draw the pain out. End of training, period.

I'll reassess tomorrow and determine if I need to go see my local whoville healer.

The bright side?
I have another shot at bringing in the New Year in a more positive way since the Chinese new year is about to change and I'm hoping that once the year of the dog starts, my luck will change. I get to re-examine the feng shui of my abode and start anew.

Changing my running goals has given me more time to research training schedules and more time to actually train (once I get there).

Rupert is safe at home!

D. has been a huge support and he keeps my spirits up and keeps me laughing.

A friend chose to give up meat and become vegetarian! Hurray!

Being trapped at home gave me time to finish Grace (see side panel). I've blocked the pieces and am just waiting for the cotton to dry before sewing it up.

Maybe I'm complaining too much, but the start to the new year has been challenging me every step of the way, throwing up new obstacles every day. What have I learned? Should I have learned something? Perhaps there's nothing to be learned and stuff just happens or maybe I need to follow Jasper Friendly Bear's advice when he says: "Stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs."

2 comments:

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

I like Jasper Friendly Bear's Advice. Very wise. I know, it's a strange time of year; nothing else quite compares. But the Chinese New Year is nearly here and yu can revel in another fresh start! I hope your back is relaxing and you're starting to feel more like yourself. And the kitties are all safe and sound, so all is right with the world. Maybe the lesson is in slowing down in a different way or about taking the time to observe- who knows? I sure as heck haven't figured it out.

Wandering Coyote said...

Not bad for what...three whole weeks?!