Tuesday, January 31, 2006

sad sack blues

Did I mention that I'm a St. Louis Blues fan? It's true. I married into it. "If you can't beat them, join them." D. has been a St. Louis fan since forever (although I'm not sure how a boy growing up outside of Montreal managed to support any other team -- but then that's just the kind of guy he is).
When D. and I first got together the Blues were in the play offs (the Blues have always been in the play offs for the last 25 years thus, setting a record), and even though we were apart geographically whenever the Blues played I would secretly cheer them on for him, doing things like wearing blue and yellow or some such gesture. When we moved in together, my support continued at this level and I thought it was a little obsessive for him to be listening to St. Louis games on the internet. Now we can see every game thanks (I think it's a thanks) to satellite and although I moaned over hockey potentially being on our t.v. every night of the week, I now sit down to every Blues game if I'm home for it. (D. is always home for their games. If he can't be for some freak reason, then he tapes the games.
Anyway, it's been a long season. Not a great year for the Blues, not even really a good year. They are in last place in the central division of the Western conference with, as of this date, 12 wins and 30 losses. They have an injury list that seems to grow. Did I mention the team is up for sale? So it's shaky times. (BTW D. can correct any of my stats). My brother (Chicago fan thus, rivalry) mailed a sympathy card to D. poking fun at the sad sack blues.
So i'm posting these pictures just for D. so he can remember better days of the past and look forward to the better days to come.

I love the picture of Gary Unger. It's hilarious! I know they aren't "action" shots, but I thought it was so funny that the Blues website should have these pictures of Unger and Jacques Plante instead of the more traditional "action" shot or hockey card shot. I'm not sure what it says about the legacy of these two characters. Who knows?

7 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Sounds similar to Aaron's Seattle Seahawk's obsession. Only you are far more tolerant. Seattle is in the Super Bowl this weekend, and thank God I'm out of Ottawa.

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

I must say, I didn't know I had it in me to be a hockey fan until I spent 10 weeks in Saskatoon during playoff season. I now officially "get it". It's a tough year all over, though; I will say, however, that I am duly impressed with the Blues making the playoffs so consistently- I had no idea!

sp said...

Tolerant? That's very kind of you. It also helps that I grew up in a sports crazy family that would watch two ball games at once or listen to one on the radio while one was on t.v. Hockey seemed to always be on t.v. at night in my childhood. I guess I picked something up. Then there was that poster of Guy LaFleur over my sister's bed. How strange is that? (okay I admit I had a poster of Lynda carter dressed as Wonder Woman -- but hey). My brother's room was a shrine to the Chicago Black Hawks and the Oakland As. I guess my tolerance is more acceptance as this is the way things are and you can't change them, nor would I want to.

red jane: I was also suprised at your enthusiasm for Canada's favorite winter sport. I forgot that the long nights in Saskatoon would bring this out in you.

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Oh my god! I was sharing a dressing room with 3 other gals and they let me bring a radio in to listen to the Flames/Philly series right up to and through the show- I was obnoxious about it, too. It helped that some of the boys were into it as well. Hell, we would've had it on program sound if we could, instead of the show. Who needs to hear a cue to go onstage anyway?

Anonymous said...

Well, it all started when I first started to watch hockey, and the Blues were a new expansion team that represented the new West Division in the Stanley Cup Final their first 3 straight years 68-69 &70. They didn't win the Cup against those powerful East Division teams (original six), but they sure were fun to watch ! Glen Hall first caught my eye; the Hall of Fame goalie was unbelievable in goal for the Blues, winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP even though his Blues lost the Cup Final !
I also liked their uniform and colors. Something about that musical note with the wing on it... Being of a young age and having to respect an imposed bed-time by my parents, I never fussed about going to bed on Blues game nights; I would retreat to the sanctuary of my Blues decorated room and turn on the little transistor radio to KMOX and listen to the legendary Dan Kelly call Blues games from under my pillow. Some otherworldly Blue force must of been responsible for KMOX having one of the stongest AM signals, I could actually get a pretty clear signal in Montreal ,not to mention that I was lucky also not to have any local stations near the 1120 mark on my dial.
I never liked the Habs. In those days they were a pretty powerful team, not to mention that Montreal was the centre of the hockey universe and had the NHL and the referees in their hip pocket. SP's brother G (and many others !) can back me on that ! My dad the Habs fan and I used to get into huge arguments. One particular one stands out in my mind. I hated the Habs so much that I was pulling for Russia's Central Red Army against the Habs in that now famous new year's eve game in '75. I think my dad thought I might be turning commie or something !!!
Anyways, the Blues have given me many thrills over these many years (especially against the Blackhawks !), and I'm certain they will win the Cup sometime during my lifetime. Times are tough now, but once new ownership is in place it's onward and upwards !!!

D.

sp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sp said...

"Well...it all started in a 5000 watt radio station in Fresno, California."

thanks D. for sharing that history. Your dad was right you did turn into a commie! You and my brother have much it common it seems since he was rooting for the "red army" as well.

red jane, if you ever go to Saskatoon during the play offs, I'll make certain you have a miniature t.v. to watch in the wings.