Saturday, January 14, 2006

Vegan Knitting

I'm an addict. I am now adknitting, I mean...admitting, to the world that I'm an knitting addict. My heartrate increases when I step into Romni wools. I've been lost in the web of internet pattens and stockists, searching for that perfect hat or scarf pattern, or the best deal on my favorite skein of the week. I find it necessary to dare myself with new challenges, "ric-rac hat? Can I do that? Circular needles? Am I ready for that?" Of course I am because when my needles touch and the cast-on begins I become still, my mind clear and calm, at one with the needles and wool. I visualize the pattern through to the end. Of course I may slip the stitches off the needle and unravel my work again and again just to reach a satisfactory outcome or because I may realize half way through a pattern that this is the wrong garment for this wool. I ask myself: what does this wool want to be?

Okay enough. I am an addict and I became vegan, I've given up wool. Leather went a long, long time ago, but I was in denial about wool. I admit it. Now for those that don't know the ugly side of the wool industry, a few little excerpts about the cruelty (not for the faint-hearted):

"Within weeks fo their birht, lambs' ears are hole punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated without anesthetic."

"shearers are usually paid by volume, not by hour, which encouragges working quickly and carelessly."

The disgusting practice of "mulesing" with Merino sheep you can read for yourself here .

Anyhoo...I've become a vegan knitter and in my research to find like minded (com)passionate knitters I came across this knitting blog . Not only is every non animal fibre mentioned here, but there is a great in depth breakdown of how each fibre is made. What an inspiring si(gh)te! I followed her links and also found pineapple fibre wool and then did some more surfing around. The next thing I knew I was tearing apart my latest project to start anew and try something more challenging with my Manos del Uruguay kettle dyed cotton.

I also noticed that Amy Singer from knitty is planning a new book that uses no animal fibres (except for silk) so I want to keep an eye out for that.

If anyone knows of any other sites or goodies I should look into let me know.

Now, back to my needles. Is it rude to take your knitting to a dinner party?

3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I can't wear wool anyways. I'm allergic - it makes me itch terribly.

sp said...

And isn't it hard to find "wool" sweaters without any wool content? I find it difficult. I think fleece is my favorite winter substitute.

Wandering Coyote said...

I have one sweater that I love, bough second hand at Value Village or something, that is 15% wool. I can wear it as long as I wear a shirt underneath. That's as close as I get.

I love fleece, too, but it's not breatheable. I love chenille, but same problem. I try to stick with cotton as much as I can.