Tuesday, January 10, 2006

2006

Went to fluville for a couple of days. It wasn't so great. I'd recommend that you try and avoid it if you can.

New year and a new start is the plan is it not? My tradition in the past has been to use my birthday as the time of year to assess where I've gone and where I plan to go, but somehow the changeover of a new year seems suitable. There's also the Chinese new year around the corner when we go from the year of the Rooster to the year of the Dog. There is still time to take stock and make decisions for 2006, no hasty resolutions for me. I've never found resolutions to be of much use, especially with their failure rate. I heard a stat that 1 out of every 5 people stick to her/his resolution (we all know how reliable stats are, ha! Don't worry sis I know you are that 1 out of the 5 people who will keep her resolution so keep going!).

2005 was particularly busy for me. I finished some old business (thesis) and took up some new hobbies (running). So what will 2006 bring? I guess you'll find out as much as I will.

***

Saturday. A gathering of friends brought together by one who now lives overseas was on the agenda. She had wonderful news that she is pregnant. She and her husband are elated of course and I couldn't be more happy for them. I only wish they were closer.

Sunday. Finally we made the time to take down the Christmas decorations. The only thing harder than decorating a pine tree is undecorating a pine tree because now the needles are a little dryer and therefore sharper. Ouch! On that same note, it will also be the last time I decorate with real holly. Of course I'll forget by the time we reach the next Christmas and fall for the "cute little pine" and "oh holly is so lovely and it's my favorite symbol of the holidays." Actually, I'm waiting for the organic tree trend to begin. Where is it please? If you know, let me know. The amount of chemical crap that probably comes into the house on that poor tree is something I'm not sure I can participate in again. I know, I know it's only once a year and I did weaken this year by decorating my tree shaped (vegan of course) sugar cookies with green food coloured icing because I said "why not, it's only once a year." I must be getting soft as I age.

Monday. I started to pack my bags to leave fluville. I don't think the leaders debate helped my recovery. I have to say I'm a bit of Duceppe fan. No, I'm not supporting the Bloc and not just because there is no member in my riding. Duceppe seemed to act more as a moderator and recounter of events in the House of Commons. He was appropriately positioned between Harper and Martin. As for Harper, he made me giggle. At one point I turned to signif. other and said, "Is he drunk?" because of that silly grin on his face. I couldn't understand what he was smiling at, looking like a mischevious little boy. I know it's not nice to get personal, but boy has he ever gotten fat since he became leader! Him evading the raising taxes on low income families did it for me. Martin, well...how can you look yourself in the mirror in the morning? I know he needs to check his dentured smile, but really after all that has gone down and you're still making a stab at running the country? He was very defensive at the beginning, but seemed to settle down. The camera definitely zoomed on him more than the other candidates. Should we be suspicious? Okay, a quick note for Jack Layton, if you say "working families" one more time...! I get it already. Anyone of you leaders want my vote? Thanks for trying, but sorry I've got other plans.

3 comments:

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

I actually tuned in as well and I have to agreethat I'm a hige Duceppe fan. Maybe I should move back home to P.Q. He was by the far, despite the language issue, the most comprehensive and coherent with his arguments and observations. And realxed and natural. I kept thinking of it as a first year acting exercise: you could see everyone working so hard to keep all their actions in play, hit the right notes and stay on tactic. Thoroughly unsatisfying. And unconfortable too- I can't stand to watch men struggle with their communication- it makes me uneasy!

Wandering Coyote said...

Couldn't agree more about Harper's smile! It was ridiculous. You know some twit on his war committee is coaching him to do that so he doesn't look like the cardboard cutout he usually does.

Agree re. Duceppe. The guy can debate. Shame it's not a national party, 'cause they're certainly left enough for me.

sp said...

Well, that says a lot doesn't it? We all think Duceppe did well. Sad state of affairs for English Canada isn't it? I started to watch the French debate, but I couldn't take anymore nonsense of same old, same old and Harper seemed to have even a bigger grin. Too much.