Friday, February 06, 2009

I was walking up the hill towards home thinking about how spring-like it feels today. As I approached the green belt area I wondered about the bears and when we'd be seeing them again. I also wondered why I even think about them since I never see any and all that I ever see around here are coyotes. Just as I thought that I hear a crack in the woods. I turned around and saw some greyish coloured legs moving. A coyote? More legs moving behind the first set. A whole row of coyotes? Then they came into view: four deer. They were walking down toward the road. Of course I stepped out into the road so the traffic would see me. I was afraid that the deer would dart out into the road and I wanted to slow the traffic. Fortunately, the area is also a school zone so the two cars coming up the hill were still going quite slow. The deer stopped on the sidewalk and waited for the car to pass. The second car turned into a driveway and then they went one after another. The last deer was the smallest and the most hesitant, but it followed the others into the wooded area next to the school. They were black tailed deer, but the small one made me think that maybe they were mule deer. I'm not sure. 

I don't know where they're going to go there's not much wooded area after that. I guess they might find something to eat closer to the creek. It was probably a tough winter for them because of all the snow we had. 

I did walk towards the school to see where they went. Of course I didn't have my camera on me, because I was just out for short stint and didn't think I'd need it. I could just glimpse them through the trees. One of them was watching me and I felt intrusive so I headed back up the hill. 

I do love living here. 

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

wow! great experience...

Wandering Coyote said...

I love it when wildlife just shows up unexpectedly!

S.M. Elliott said...

That's awesome. It's like a gift you never expected.