Sunday, February 05, 2006

what is the sound of one needle knitting?

A very thoughtful friend bought a knitting book for sis and I. It's called "Mindful Knitting" by Tara Jon Manning. It's about knitting as meditation. The author's passion for knitting led her into a graduate program in textile design and she talks about how her studies led her to "explore the relationship between the work of the hands and the qualities of the mind." If you've been reading whoville for a while now you'll know that this book is right up my alley.

The book offers a progression in knitting from a very simple pattern to ending with more complex stitches to meditate upon. The intention of the book is to develop your mindful focus as your knitting skills progress.

I've only just started reading, but am completely won over by her approach. I am even looking forward to knitting the first pattern which is a garter stitch scarf. This is something that might be last on my list these days since I've knit so many scarves for so many people in so many colours, patterns and lengths. However, the reason I am excited about knitting a garter stitch scarf again is because Manning's offers new directions to take your focus when you get to that bored point and to take time to "stay in the present moment as each stitch is formed."

In other knit news...

Still working the Grace pattern from knitty.com. Phew! I took it apart and decided to try it again using circular needles as far as I can on the body before the shaping takes me back to two needles. I prefer the circular needles so far and am just excited to try something new.

If anyone has combined knitted pieces and fabric garment pieces together do tell. I would like to explore things like knit sleeves on regular t-shirts or vice versa or half and half knit and fabric things like...whatever. I suppose the only thing to do is go for it.

No comments: