Friday, February 24, 2006

Olympic overload

I've reached Olympic overload. I can no longer bear to watch Olympic coverage on any channel. It's all become one big blurr of events. Don't misundertand, it's a wonderful competition and all the athletes are amazing. Hurray for all of them! However, I've overloaded myself with the spectacle of winning and I no longer want to see people compete at a frenetic pace or passion to win in that brief window of opportunity that is present for just a fraction of a second for them to reach their dream. It's overwhelming. Furthermore, since it's been the only thing I've been watching this last week (I miss movie nights!) and I've been watching the same formula on every channel, it seems like one long day. I even feel a bit jet lagged watching evening events in the day and vice versa. You can see how confused I am.
On top of it all I've watched myself and those around me get caught up in the dramas that the media enhances to try and make the athlete's drive more dramatic, to make that plummet down the mountain seem like the athlete's last chance at happiness. It's taken over our lives. Now I feel nauseous.
So I'm happy to be going to work if only to break up with the Olympic coverage for a day (okay I admit i had the Russia/Finland hockey game on in the background. See? It's just background noise now).
I'm out the door and moving on.

1 comment:

Wandering Coyote said...

I know what you mean, so I'm weaning myself off of it. It's almost over, though. Some of my favourite events are at the end, like the short track speed skating, so I have to save a little energy for that.