Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Coretta Scott King Vegan and Animal Voices radio

I was just listening to Animal Voices on the radio and heard that Coretta Scott King was vegan! One more reason to admire this woman and the legacy of her family with compassion towards all living creatures.

I'm sure I've mentioned this radio show before since I do appreciate the existence of it. Oh yes, I mentioned it when I was excited about winning the Vegan Essentials gift certificate. I still haven't used the g.c. yet. It's too hard to decide on what to get so I'm waiting for the right moment. I have a year to use it so why rush?

Today on Animal Voices they also discussed the use of horse meat (exported mostly, but also available in Quebec and Vancouver, and hidden in pet foods) as a nasty industry that needs to be regulated. Horse in slaughterhouses is just a really nasty affair and apparently the video footage will confirm yet another horrible suffering of an animal in a slaughterhouse. You can click on the link above if you want the details. Animal Voices puts up transcripts for each show. PETA is also currently taking action on this issue. So you could follow up there too.

On a more positive note our dear sweet Chengo is on his way home from the vet. His food was changed recently to Wysong and he got crystals as a result, but fortunately with some minor invasive treatment he has passed them all at the vet and can return home with lots of meds and some new prescribed food. I was so worried about the little guy. It's always frightening when they want to keep your cat overnight. Apparently other male cats have proven to show problems with Wysong and Wellness and it is even showing up in some dogs. Chengi is on his way home with his mum as I write.

2 comments:

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Thank god Chengo's alright! I thought a lot about putting Redfred on vegan catfood but I am aware that there is a high tendency in males to develop kidney stones and bladder issues- even the folks at Vegecat acknowledge this. And the fact that the ex is the only retailer of vegan cat food in Canada made the decision for me; I'll keep redfred on Nutro for now. It's so scary when they get sick; they can't talk to us and sometimes it's so hard o figure out if there is anything going on. And sometimes little things develop into life altering issues. Glad to gear all is well at the homestead. And thanks for lunch box, too!

sp said...

Cheng was in a pretty serious state. I'm relieved as well. The vet told Len that wet food is actually better for kitties whereas 10 years ago everyone was saying dry food, dry food. I also think wet food has probably come a long way.
I know it's a weird situation to be vegan and have the cats not be, but they are carnivores and I sincerely believe humans are not. They eat mice and birds and sometimes spiders. It's their instinct. For me the best I can do is make sure there is no by-products (horsemeat and other nasties) and that the ingredients are recognizable (kind of the way I choose my own vegan food).
Redfred loves his nutro.