Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sidelined

All the websites and reference books seem to be telling me the same thing, I have Achilles Tendonitis. No, this isn't a doctor's diagnosis. Perhaps that's my next step and then I can be directed to physio. This is not good. Not only does this not feel good, but it changes my training schedule. To sum it up, if it hurts I can't do it.
How did this happen? Too much pace and/or incline too quickly. It could also be further aggravated by my expired shoes. If the cushioning has gone then the achilles tends to stretch more than it probably should (age is a factor too). The dreaded treadmill has much to do with it. No one runs at a consistent pace as the treadmill encourages. They can automate incline changes, but perhaps pace should randomly change as well. Since I've noticed the pain, when I run inside I have started to adjust my pace every five minutes, checking in with how I feel on the treadmill. Now I need to think about a heel wedge for my shoe, icing after a workout and stretching, not going in my sock feet indoors and worst of all considering if yoga is perhaps overstretching the achilles. No yoga?! Maybe I should switch to the much slowed restorative classes at the end of the day as opposed to the vinyasa flow of the regular ashtanga class.
Now I must adjust my training schedule. I was hoping to do the Missisauga half marathon in May, but that may not be in my sights for now. So I need to re-think my training yet again for 2006. I settled on the Missisauga run when I realized that I couldn't afford to get to the Tofino run and now...more frustration. Maybe I can do some 5 or 10 k runs for fun?

3 comments:

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Ack! I am so sorry to hear this! But you are wise to listen to your achilles and slowwwwwwwwww down. It is the one that can tear and be irreparably damaged. I'd look into an ultrasound to see if they can determine what the exact issue is, but take it easy and rest, rest, rest!Ice is your friend, as is the hot/cold flushing technique to stimulate new blood and speed up repair. Hey! we can be gimpy together! I really wish you well in recovery and fun runs are quite, well, fun-I know they're not half or full marathons, but they might still help you feel like you're in the game, so to speak. Let me know if I can help in any way re: training.

Wandering Coyote said...

I can identify with this somewhat as I have plantar fasciitis - very nasty. I blame Crapters and their crappy flooring. Anyhow, I did have an unofficial doc's diagnosis but I know now that my achilles tendons are tight naturally which affects many things biomechanically, like why I can't squat properly for one thing. I would just say: listen to your body and allow it to heal properly before attempting anything too hard on it.

sp said...

Remind me how to do the hot/cold flushing technique? Is it one minute of each?

Thanks for the sympathy from all.

I think I will see my doctor and try and get some physio since I can't afford to go see our fabulous whoville healer.