Wednesday, September 01, 2010

watching the clock

I'm at work and counting the remaining hours until I can put my head back down on a pillow. I've been to fluville this past week, and it wasn't pretty.

It started Friday when I was feeling light-headed, but thought I just needed more food or water or something.

Saturday I had some routine bloodwork done so I had been fasting, so when I was light-headed again, I thought it was due to this. However, as the day progressed so did my symptoms, and it became clear to me that I had a fever (chills were setting in). I couldn't finish my lunch (never happens), and I could barely walk by the time I finished work. I had to take a cab home because db didn't have the company car.

Once at home I crashed, and the next three days are a bit of a blurr of fever, chills, a constant unforgiving headache, and, my personal favourite, nausea. I had no appetite. I've been hyper sensitive to smells, and occasionally light. All I could eat was a bit of fresh fruit and drink some water, but I was even having a hard time drinking water because of the nausea.

db was taking great care of me (of course), and the cats thoroughly enjoyed having the sofabed open in the living room (especially Gigi).

Finally (day 3) I asked db to call 811, which is the health advice line where they put you in touch with a nurse. I was concerned about taking Advil. He spoke to the nurse, and she suggested I switch from Ibuprofen to Extra Strength Tylenol since the Ib might be upsetting my stomach. She also said to see a doctor if I wasn't improving.

Guess what? After the X.S. Tylenol and more suffering overnight, I decided to go to see my doctor. This was yesterday. Miraculously my fever had come down by the morning, but I was still very nauseous and my headache was worse than any migraine I've ever had.  db came home from work to take me to the doctor who prescribed some awfully strong stuff that under any other circumstances I would have said a definite no to. She also suggested gravol for the nausea.

With the prescription filled, we headed home. The whole trip to and from the doctor really shook me up. Not surprising (okay, you're getting all of the details now) when I got home and back into my pjs, I threw up. There wasn't much to throw up. It was pathetic really. db got a new tablet into me -- after I forced a peach down because it has to be taken with food -- and stayed with me until I was settled. He went back to work, and I slept until the nausea rose again. I haven't thrown up in years, and I've forgotten how *pleasant* it truly is.

I reluctantly took a gravol, which isn't vegan by the way and that really pissed me off because I felt at the mercy of the medicine available to me in a fix, and then things got really surreal. I forgot how gravol makes me completely off balance. The least sudden movement and I was thrown off balance.

Last night I was able to eat some rice with a drop of Bragg's on top. I ate maybe a cup, and then more blueberries later. My nausea was fading with the headache. I went to bed with some hope, but worried about work. There was no one to cover me, and if I don't show up the store doesn't open up.

I gave myself lots of time to get ready for work. My hair was a little insane, and I was shocked when I saw myself in the mirror. I think it was turning into dreads. db came home to drive me to work, or else I probably would not have gone. Public transit is fine when you're healthy and can read, but otherwise no thanks. 

So here I am watching the clock until I can close the store. I'm okay. I had a fever again overnight, but none this morning. I am still light-headed and weak (probably because I've only eat about a cup and half of fruit, two pieces of toast, and some rice over the last three days. I did make a smoothie this morning (sans Vega -- I can't stomach it yet), but only drank half. My appetite needs to build again. I don't have a strong desire for any foods, but I keep trying.

Here's to tomorrow.


mister anchovy said...

yuk. fluville is no fun. I hope you feel fully recovered soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh!!!!!! My sis!!!! That's sounds like hell. I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to take care of you, even though I know db is doing an amazing job! xoxoxo.
I'm a little worried. Is it just a flu? I'm not a doctor, but I play one on t.v.

sp said...

It's a viral infection, sis. I've been trying to come up with all sorts of disease names for it, but haven't had any luck yet. Maybe you can help me out with that one.

red jane said...

Oh no! That's horrific!!! I feel nauseous just reading about your trials. It sounds quite sever, too- I'm glad you found some relief with the doctor; I wish you a speedy and strong recovery. I'd bake you cookies and mail them but sounds like it may be a while before you can tolerate goodies. Big hugs!

S.M. Elliott said...

Wishing you a quick recovery!