Saturday, April 08, 2006

Ah the joy of a day off! No longer do my days blur one into the other with bits and bouts of writing coming sporadically throughout the day, any day between laundry, emails, blogging, a trip to the gym, and breaking up the cat spats. I use to long for the 9-5 type of day and now I'm in it. The grass is always greener. Now I'm a time manager. I've started wearing my watch regularly again (for some reason this disturbs me). I've started a list of things to be accomplished for the month. Nope, no daily list for me. It's all about what needs to get done in a month and I'm moving on that list pretty quickly because I now appreciate my "down time."

So...
today I enjoyed the sunny, but cool, weather in whoville. There was not a cloud in the sky. I went to get my annual bike tune up at the same place where D. had dropped his bike earlier in the week and I left the place with two bikes! It's about time. I bought my old bike in Victoria in ;95 and it's had a good run, but I had to replace a lot of things and I sensed that there would be more to come. Furthermore, I was getting tired of spending the money on a tune up on a bike that was feeling uncomfortable and stiff. The new bike is...I can't really sum it up in one word but it is enough to say that I love it and am really excited to start riding it regularly. Of course this also means I need to upgrade my lock. The old 8.99 u-lock from the kitchen store on St. Laurent isn't going to suffice anymore. It's protected two bikes of mine and now it's time for a Kryptonite lock. L.V. lets us keep our bikes in the warehouse so I don't have to worry about leaving it out all day at work. Sad isn't it that I have to worry about leaving my bike anywhere?

Tonight we went to see Brokeback Mountain at a local rep theatre and I thought it'd be nice to quickly zip up on our bikes, but then rethought it when I considered the neighbourhood. Whoville isn't always so friendly, you know.

Well, now's it's time for pizza and I'm off to eat some of D's yummy pizza so more later...

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I just got my tax return back and plan to buy a bike, so I can cycle to work and do some light recreational cycling. Any tips? I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks.

What did you think of Brokeback? I just loved it - so thought-provoking with no easy answers.

sp said...

I loved Brokeback Mountain. It's simplicity in the telling of something very complex was beautifully done. The things that aren't said are what makes this film for me.

Bike tips? Buy from a bike store for sure, avoid department store bikes where the people put them together with no knowledge of what they're doing. Stick to your price, tell the salesperson your price range, and try a few out. Bikes have really come a long way in terms of comfort, and the light aluminum frames make such a difference. Cyclepath is a big franchise, but they can have deals on last years models which is what I got. Also, the people who work there will make sure you get the right sized frame for your height and they have a 2 year free tune up deal when you buy a new bike and will make any adjustments for you for free. I think they also have a 2 year flat tire deal where they'll replace it for free if you pay for the tube. So, it's a good deal all around. Good luck.