Monday, November 01, 2010

Vegan MoFo Gluten Free Baking

It's that time of year again! It's Vegan MoFo!

I'll admit that my last MoFo attempt was a bit weak, my heart wasn't in it. This year I feel a little more inspired, more like the first year I participated when MoFo was just getting started. So get ready for a whole month of vegan food in whoville.

Of course every month around here is the vegan month of food, but I don't blog about it as much as I use to. That's just the nature of my blog; it changes as do I.

Okay, okay on to the food.

One of my challenges over the last couple of years has been to cut out the gluten in my vegan diet. Because I have a wheat sensitivity and do not have celiac disease, I can cheat and do often cheat by eating something wheaty (the most recent example being our trip to Portland where I had to sample some of the goodies from Sweetpea Bakery and Back to Eden Bakery).  So, I'm a cheater. Well I can strive to do better.

Just this past weekend, I purchased Flying Apron's cookbook since it was on sale at my local vegan shop.  As with many cookbooks, the delicious sounding recipes and glossy photos attracted me, but what attracted me most was that this cookbook contains recipes that are tried, tested, and true, and are served in the Flying Apron Bakery in Seattle (next trip).

My first recipe! Flying Apron's Buckwheat Biscuits seemed like a good place to start because I had all of the ingredients in the cupboard, and wanted something to have on hand for breakfast. Also biscuits are a bit of a nostalgic food for me. Drop biscuits or the rolled biscuits my mom made through my childhood and still makes today has always been a favorite of mine. This recipe is a bit different: there was some chilling time for the dough; there is working with non-gluten flours that means the properties are just different; there is also sugar in the dough that adds a nice sweetness to them that reminds me of a sweetened scone.  The results were a success! We're still enjoying the results. I took one to work as did db, and we both commented on how tasty these are.

I suspect that this month will have more photos from my gluten free baking.

If you want to follow more Vegan MoFo blogs or just check out the blogroll of all those participating in Vegan MoFo, you can find the list on the Vegan MoFo blog

No comments: