Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day, mom!

Yes, that is a picture of my mom on Long Beach in Tofino. This is from our trip we took last year with the whole family. I didn't want to upload a closer photo because I know my mom, and I know she wouldn't appreciate that. So I thought this photo was appropriate since it kind of reminds me of the distance we are apart, but it's only a geographical
distance.
As I've said before, my mom has been very supportive of anything I've chosen to do in my life. She's been an incredible mom while I've gone through all the good and the ugly bad stuff. She's helped me many times and has stuck by me no matter what. I'm grateful for all of the positive influences she's had on me as a person. I know I get my passion for the arts and the creative process from her and my compassionate self also comes from my mom.

As a person, mom always amazes me. She's never been afraid to dive in and take on new challenges in her life. She was a radio sportscaster in a male dominated profession at a time when women were rarely seen to do such a job. She lived and worked as a potter with my step-dad for several years. When I was just starting university at 19, she decided she wanted to go back to school and dove in and excelled in no time. This led her to teach English as a second language. She is adored by her students and she always keeps her classrooms fun and interesting. She's always been a writer and recently wrote a play that made it into the Montreal fringe two years ago. Recently she has taken up walking through the Running Room and completed her first 5 k last month! She's doing a 10 k in Ottawa this month with her walking group and I know this is just the beginning for her.

So here's to my mom on mother's day. I raise my decaf green/chai tea soy latte to you mom!

3 comments:

Red said...

Happy belated Mother's Day to your mum (she sounds like a wonderful person!) and to you as the proud mother of your gorgeous furry babies (bambini pelosi)!

sp said...

Aw thanks red. I hope Cat got you something special for mother's day.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless, which you know for me is rare. thank you dear.
md