Monday, March 03, 2008

Spring Garden

I know it's not "officially" here, but as far as I'm concerned it is spring where I am. I'm so pleased to see that my crocuses came up and the tulips are doing really well, moving along much faster than I thought. My other spring bulbs, aliums, hyacinth, and daffodils are also coming along. The only spring bulb I can't locate is the dwarf iris and that is probably because I can't remember where I planted them nor can I find the notes I made on where I planted them.

It's nice to see the garden coming to life. Every now and then we have a dog visitor to the house and I think she's been doing a little digging so I'm not entirely sure if all of the pelargoniums made it. Maybe they've just been "transplanted." Time will tell. Another concern/disappointment is that there doesn't seem to be any sign yet of my Siberian Iris while another variety next to where I planted it is already coming up. I just bought a small book on Irises and read that it is best to soak the Siberian Iris root overnight. Oh well. It's part of the trial and error or gardening right?

db and I started our seeds yesterday as well. Of course it's mostly tomatoes and I have no idea where we're going to put them all, but we'll manage.

We're supposed to have very nice weather the rest of the week so I thought I'd make tomorrow pruning day and tidy up what I can.

3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

We're having a huge dump of snow here today! I doubt I'll be seeing any crocuses until...oh, May, maybe...

Anonymous said...

I love crocuses! I don't see very many here in West Texas although you'd think they'd grow here in the river valley. We have some feral (can flowers be feral?) daffodils that sprout in the back yard every year but it's funny, I haven't seen them yet! We also have a quince bush that blooms every year just before Valentine's Day - I love that - and it has been flowering for awhile, so the daffodils must just delayed a bit this year for some reason.

sp said...

There are some "feral" daffodils down the road from us as well. They just crop up alongside the road. I expect squirrels have moved them there or maybe there's a guerilla gardener in the neighbourhood. I think that should be my next move - some guerilla gardening.

I've never seen a quince bush. I'll have to look it up.