Friday, March 05, 2010

Where does the time go?

I ask this question again. I'm always thinking about blogging, but like many things I do, I often think about them more than actually doing them.

This morning, for example, I got dressed for a run, and then realized that there was no way I was going to get in a decent run, come home, shower, and get ready for work all in time to leave for work on time. Some days I feel superhuman like I can do anything, but this is not one of those days. I did a little yoga before I ate on the fly while getting ready for work. I can dream though, can't I?

My run on Tuesday was interesting. As I was running up the hill towards home, a deer came running around the bend towards me! I think it had just crossed the street, and may have been startled by the traffic. I stopped running. The deer darted into the woods. I stepped into the grass to look down at the trail that runs along the edge of the woods, and I waited. Sure enough that deer came sauntering along. It didn't see me standing there watching it, not 20 meters away, munch on the greenery. I made a slow movement just so it would know I was there. I expected it to run off down the trail deeper into the woods, but instead it started walking towards me! I slowly backed up. The deer turned back onto the trail, but was in no hurry to get away. That was a pretty exciting run. Oh, and did I mention that I had planned to take the bus up the hill, but missed my bus so I had to walk/run it? If I hadn't missed that bus...

Anywho...

To answer my title question...

Monday is a workday (any day I'm not home count in 2 hours of travel time for each day).
Tuesday I go to Wildlife Rescue (for 4 hours only, but again count in that travel time).
Wednesday is a workday.
Thursday is a workday (at my old job, which is 1 hour longer than the rest of my work days).
Friday is a workday.
Saturday is another workday (shorter hours - only 6 hours on Saturday).
Sunday is a get out of jail free day!

Does your week look anything like this?

Am I complaining? Maybe.

db and I had to start meal planning in a whole new way to be sure of who is cooking what on what days. That way I can do some prep for dinner before I go to work. Did I mention that our new slow cooker went on the fritz? It's under warranty so it's somewhere being fixed (I hope). It was a sad day when I came home and my Minestrone was cold and uncooked in the slow cooker.

Obviously if I need more time I should give up the volunteer work at Wildlife Rescue, but it's the one place I enjoy the most. It's so rewarding to be looking after all those birds, and hopefully help them to recover for release back into the wilds of the lower mainland. This past week, one of the pigeons laid and egg! They put 2 bully pigeons together in one of the cages they stay in before they're acclimatized. No other pigeon could be paired with either one of the bullies. The staff put the bullies together, and next thing we know there's an egg. Aww pigeon love. Apparently, there's a second egg on the way. One of the staff told me she could feel the second egg was on its way.

There is also a Snow Goose recovering from a broken bone in its wing. It's been difficult because he can't go in a larger pen or pool until his wing has healed a little more. He's beautiful though. It's important that he makes a speedy recovery to continue his northern migration.

So, no I won't leave Wildlife Rescue unless I absolutely have to.

I do like job #1 even with its minor annoyances. I want to stick with it as long as it continues to grow, as long as I get to contribute to how the business functions, and as long as I continue to enjoy it.

So let's focus on Sunday. I love Sundays! It's been a little hectic lately with the Owe-lmpics, but I had a great time this past Sunday at Whistler watching the Cross Country Skiing. It was impressive, and we had a great view of the arena while we stood right next to the trail on an upper level. It was fun. We did have to get up at 3:30 am to catch the 5:30 bus to Whistler Olympic Park. Ugh. Let's not relive that morning.

This Sunday will be a stay-at-home kind of day. I need to get caught up on everything. The garden has just gone on ahead without me and is growing up like crazy. I missed my chance to prune any of my clematis so I'm stuck with this years growth as it is. Hopefully I'll still get lots of blooms. I need to tidy up the garden, and check in on the compost to see if I can start spreading it around where needed.

Last night I noticed lilies poking up an inch or two through the soil (please no frost, please no frost...). My daffodils have already bloomed along with 2 azaleas in the front yard! The cherry trees have all bloomed, and it is all too early. Here's the link to the cherry blossom viewing map if you need to get out there and see them. Our winter has clearly been too mild. I think cherry trees usually bloom in late March or early April. I've even seen some buds on Magnolia trees. So it could be an interesting garden season.

I'm looking forward to Sunday and spending the whole day at home. The cats will love it too. 

Look out garden, here I come!

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

The days fly away like wild horses over the hills. (Charles Bukowski)

Time passes slowly up here in the mountains. (Bob Dylan)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. (Townes van Zandt)

Wandering Coyote said...

That is a pretty hectic schedule...You don't really get a "weekend" or two days off in a row...That would kill me, I know from experience (remember the Shithole Bakery?).

I am glad you are enjoying the Wildlife Rescue!