Sunday, September 21, 2008

change of plans

Today I had a good run, but at around 24 k I couldn't go any longer, my calf was hurting too much and I knew I needed to stop. I wasn't too far from home and walked the rest of the distance. db had met me part way through my run so he kept going to finish off his distance. He did great and looks very ready for the event.

At about a kilometer before I stopped I made my decision. I didn't want to go into the marathon stressed about if I'd be in pain or not. I didn't want to get part way through the course and have to stop and walk the rest of the way. I didn't want to go there and not have fun. I also thought about how I love running. I love going out for a run on the quiet streets when no one else is up. I love going out even after a long day at work, when I feel like sitting on the couch, but instead I go for a run and feel energized after it. I love the solitude of it, feeling completely on my own. I also love the hard training, the speedwork, the hills, and pushing to go further. I don't want it to be too much like work and today it became a task of going out and running the distance just to get it done. So as I ran into the inlet trail I decided that if I was going to have fun at the race in Victoria I was going to have to switch to the half marathon. Relief! No longer did I have to wonder if I'd make it through or not, I felt like I'd made a solid decision. Maybe next year I'll be injury free for a full marathon.

I still plan on doing the Trail River Run next Sunday. What an opportunity to run on trail with a group in the beautiful b.c. outdoors. It's a half marathon distance as well so I'll have to do a nice easy taper after that before I go to Victoria. Once in Victoria I plan to have a good time and go for it.

Post-run I iced the calf and stretched. I also applied some healing essential oils. The calf still hurts, but I can rest it now. I've got more physio this week and I'm trying to find the time to have a massage.

Tomorrow I'm 9-5 girl for five days a week for two weeks. This is not my usual routine, but I think I'll manage. I've also got class tomorrow so I'd better get some reading done. I like to feel prepared. Actually, I tend to overly prepare. That's just the way I am.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I think it's neat how you reflected on why you love running - it's a good way to ground yourself and keep motivated! Take care of that calf!

Karen said...

Best not to push yourself too much. And I find when it comes to running/walking, if it's not fun I don't want to do it and don't give it my all. Sounds like a wise decision for now. Good luck on the Trail River Run next week :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, sp, that sounds like a smart decision made for the right reasons. You'll have a great trail race and great half and next year probably be all healed up and on track for a full marathon PR! :)

sp said...

Thanks for the support everyone.