Saturday, November 19, 2005

The Devil's Rain


Ah yes The Devil's Rain.
Judging from this photo you might think that this is an episode of Star Trek where they travel to a planet and disguise themselves as cowboys to go "unnoticed" by the townspeople. You're wondering where this lost episode is and why haven't you seen it. It's not what you think. This is from a great B movie The Devil's Rain (1975). Don't let the picture mislead you, this is a horror film, but I see it as a mixing of two genres: the horror genre and the western genre.

I caught this on the drive in channel one evening and somewhat dismissed it after reading a rather dismissive review of it in my Terror on Tape (O'Neill) book. The stellar cast drew me in, Shatner, Borgnine, Ida Lupino. What are these actors doing in a B horror movie? I'll tell you in a future blog when I review it in more detail after I find it on video or dvd, rent it (or buy it) and watch it again to consider the dualities in the film that the cross genre and double meaning title, The Devil's Rain (read: Reign), permit that elevates this film to a level that needs to be considered more seriously in with the other greats of 1970s horror.

More to come.

No comments: