Saturday, August 08, 2009

Friday night Rainforest Stri-Fry

It's hard to tell from the photos but the sauce for this dish is now my favorite sauce, a spicy mango sauce.

The recipe is from refresh. It called for veggies I didn't have on hand (bok choy) so I used beet greens and broccoli instead.

The sauce couldn't be easier since everything is simmered in a pot for 20 minutes and then thickened with cornstarch before adding it to the veggies & tofu. Lesson learned? A sauce made from scratch is 50 times better than anything you can buy in a bottle.


Our garden Tumbler tomatoes provided the red colour in the dinner and added another sweet flavour to go with the spicy jalapenos. I also opted for the round flavour of Soba noodles instead of rice noodles.

It turned out to be a success. db suggested that I make gallons of the sauce to have on hand. So...I think he liked this dish.

(It looks like the tofu and that one slice of jalapeno pepper are trying to escape in this picture, but I think they were just a little camera shy. I ate them first. Delicious.)

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Nice job!

mister anchovy said...

It looks really good!