Monday, December 12, 2011

Wow it's been over a month! Time flies. 

So the run went well. It seems like just a couple of weeks ago, but it's been a month already since I ran the 24k Phantom run. All I can say about it is that it was grueling. I mean it's a great event and loads of fun, but it was by far the toughest trail run I've ever done. I've done 19k on trails, so I thought 24 would be okay. Well, add in the driving rain, cold, streams, and mud-sucking puddles to run through and it all equals a grueling run. 

It started out okay. I was a bit nervous. I had never really run a race with running buddies before so I wasn't sure if I should stay with them or do my own thing. I did a bit of both, and then by the time we hit about the 19k mark, we stuck together just to get each other through the last stretch and climb. I don't think I could have finished without them.

With about 4k to go, my calf started cramping and tightening up and I was hobbling a bit. I must have been a sad sight, soaked through, muddy, and limping. One running pal, ab, got a burst of energy at the end and took off. It was inspiring to watch, but I knew I wouldn't keep up. I ran the last stretch with my other running pal, mc, and we finished together in 3 hours and 7 minutes. Seriously, that was a grueling run. I think it took me all day to get warm again. Fortunately there was some great food at the end. It's a potluck event, and someone brought cup of soups and there were vegan options! It was the perfect food on a cold, wet day. 

There was a photo captured of me after the run, and I look like I'm about to cry. I don't think I was, but it looks like it. I'm huddled under the tent watching the other runners come in. 

Anywho...I finished! My longest trail race yet. So now, there are several in the running group who have entered the lottery for the Knee Knacker race in the summer, and I'm tempted. It's a 50k. I've never done that distance on pavement or trail so it's a pretty big challenge for me, but I might just enter the lottery. I still have time to think about it though. And there's always the chance that my name won't get drawn and I won't be in the race at all. I kind of like the chance of the lottery. 

Once the Phantom race finished, several of us from the trail clinic decided to keep running on the weekends until the next clinic starts. So we've been meeting every Sunday and running trails. It's been great to keep going and is the highlight of my week. Usually my December is pretty slow for running, so with the group, I've been more motivated to keep running throughout the month. 

I hope I can juggle it all come January when I start my course work as well. 


1 comment:

red jane said...

That's thrilling! Good for you! It's a really vancouver esque day here today- foggy, damp but oddly mild- making me wish I could head out for a run but alas- catering calls. Wearing your shirt:)