Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shrooming on Thanksliving

We decided that we would put together a Thanksgiving meal (or as I'm calling it Thanksliving) since the flavours of the season are in abundance. In our fresh box (organic produce delivery) we received fresh cranberries, brussel sprouts, and parsnips. So we thought, lets just pick up a Tofurky and make it official, but we would need some mushroom gravy, and some fresh mushrooms for it.

We headed into the woods, and went to our usual spot to find some chanterelles, but they weren't as abundant as we've seen them before, and we have already picked in that area; however, we did find some. db found most of them actually because I was busy taking pictures of all of the other mushrooms I was spotting. So there are no chanterelle pictures here, but all the other mushrooms that are a mystery to me.






 These are absolutely everywhere right now. I haven't identified them...yet.





 I'd really like to know what these are. They seem so unusual to me because of the underside.
 And this is the forest where all of those mushrooms were spotted.

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I wonder if they're Polyporus badius, the black-footed polypore?

sp said...

I think you might be right. I looked it up and it seems like the best match. I didn't bring it home for a spore print, but it fits the description otherwise.