Friday, June 11, 2010

Last night was my last shift at LV tools. Since starting my job at kv (the little vegan haven), I cut my hours at LV down to 2 days, and then finally 1 day a week. I knew the day would come when I would have to leave, but it arrived sooner than expected when kv offered me full time. Working for a small business has been much more rewarding than the big company. I feel like I'm part of the success that we're having at kv, and that's very rewarding to feel like you have a direct impact on how the business functions. 


It's a big change for me because I can feel my life going in a direction I hadn't expected. I knew I wanted to leave LV, but I was never really certain how that would happen, or when. When I landed the job at kv (actually, thanks to a former LV employee who heard about the job and thought it would be a great fit for me), I saw possibilities, but the owners didn't want to commit to anything permanent because they were a new business and were not sure if a vegan shop would fly. Well it's surviving, and now I have a permanent place there.

Even though I knew I wanted to leave LV, I still felt sad leaving. Once I cut my hours to one shift a week, it was fun to see everybody and get caught up on the latest news. My one day a week was more of a social event sometimes than work, but the downside was that I felt a little scattered working in 2 places, and then going to the Wildlife Rescue on Tuesdays. Some mornings I'd wake up and ask myself, "where am I going today?" The older I get, the more I find I need a steady routine.

Yesterday I was overwhelmed when the staff surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a vase that one of the women engraved for me. One friend baked a vegan chocolate cake, with a chocolate icing that was to die for. Sliced bananas were layered in between the 3 layers with the chocolate icing, and they also decorated the top. (I'll have to post a picture if someone ever sends me one). This was a very decadent treat since I don't really eat cake very often. I think the sugar rush was a bit intense, but it was worth it. To top it off they gave me a gift card that I had spent by the end of the evening.

They did everything right to make me well up with tears. Thanks everyone at LV for the fun that we did have over the last 3.5 years. I always had a lot of laughs there that's for sure, and that's what I'll miss the most.

2 comments:

radioactivegan said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that you won a crocheted bracelet on my blog: http://theradioactivegan.blogspot.com/2010/06/crochet-palooza.html
Please email me your mailing address and I'll get it out to you ASAP. Thanks!

sp said...

Woohoo! Thanks. I'll send off an email.