Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Vegan Runner Sidelined

The fall running season looked good. Being a month into my marathon training I was feeling pretty good, and was being careful about my mileage increases, sticking to the 10% to try and avoid injuries. I had started to make decisions about shorter events before the big race that could be used as training; this is a way to keep motivated and make the whole process more fun. Everything was starting to take shape.

You know what's happened. The cat shenanigans have sidelined me. My foot is going to take a long time to heal. More specifically my toe is struggling to heal. After being on my feet most of the day at work, I felt like I'd just run a marathon by the time I reached home last night. db has been taking good care of me, making sure I stay put with my foot up and resting. I don't have full flex in my toes because too much flex makes it feel like my toenail is separating from my toe, which is probably what is happening. My poor little toe (actually it's the big toe).

Today I called work to say I wouldn't be in because the thought of putting on a shoe and shuffling to work made me shudder. I felt like I needed a day to really rest my foot and do very little walking, someplace where no shoes and no socks are required.

A co-worker said to me "A runner injuring their toe must be like a piano player injuring a finger." I was in denial when he said, but he was right.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Ugh - who'd've thunk it?? Do you need to go for an X-ray?

mister anchovy said...

Ouch! I hope you heal up quickly.

sp said...

No. I don't think an X-ray is necessary. Today was a better day. I can see that it's healing now.

S.M. Elliott said...

Bummer! Wishing you a speedy recovery. I've been slowed down by a messed-up neck most of the week, so I know how frustrating it is to be sidelined. Hang in there!