Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Run Vegan Run?

I haven't run in over two weeks! We hiked quite a bit on vacation and during our vacation I didn't really schedule in any running time. I'm starting to get itchy from not running. Is this withdrawal?

Today I cycled to and from work so that helped a bit, but it's not the same as running. When I run there's more time with my thoughts whereas when I'm cycling I'm always thinking about where I am in the traffic and how I'm taking a corner or going up or down a hill. There's little time for idle musing (if that makes sense).

I'll cycle again tomorrow and then think about a long run on Friday. It's supposed to be quite hot on Friday so I'll have to go out nice and early to beat the heat. Perhaps planning for the next race will help get me going. When I have a schedule to stick to I can plan ahead a little better. There's an interesting article in the Running Times about marathon training and how and why you should mix it up. I'll probably refer to some of the ideas I came across in the article to see where I can play with my own typical training schedule.

Oh did I mention the race on June 28th? Probably not because it was the same day my family arrived and the vacation officially started. I finished the Scotiabank half marathon with a personal best of 1:50! It was a beautiful day and a beautiful course. I'm happy with my results, but I know I can do better. I need to find a way to overcome some of those mini-walls I hit, and I think more speedwork and strength training will help. Coach?
db took the photos at the beginning of the race. We started at UBC.

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Congrats on your race time! That's awesome!

sp said...

Thanks WC.