Monday, December 19, 2005

Stressed much?

Catering has turned into seven and eight hour shifts plus travel time so things are getting a little hectic around here. Financially this is a good thing for me, but with Christmas arriving, there is also a fair amount of stress building with everything that I need to get baked, cleaned and fed (kitties and myself!).

Physically, I'm starting to feel the numerous trips up and down stairs in these homes that I cater in. Today I'll be working at an office party and I'm thrilled (despite the boredom that often accompanies the office event) because at least there will be no stairs to deal with.

To help alleviate some stress, I made a "to do" list. When I got to the second page...ugh...when I got to the second page I made myself accept that not everything will get done on the list and Christmas will still be lovely even if I don't get that fridge cleaned out.

Every year I've attempted to eliminate some of unnecessary stress. The Christmas present shopping has stopped. I think it's for kids mostly. I know and understand the impulse to get your loved ones gifts and have something to open at whatever time your Christmas tradition permits (Eve or Morning), but I've opted for baked goods to be given and have asked others to donate to one of my preferred charities such as Fauna and Farm Sanctuary or any cat shelter in any town or city. Ah, the joys of not running around adding to my credit card debt.

I'm sounding Grinchy aren't I? I'm not in a Grinch mood really. It's really just the stress speaking. This year we're not traveling out of Whoville which is a nice change. I'm really looking forward to the feast. No, there will be no roast beast since this house in Whoville is vegan. We have quite the menu planned. I'll have to post that later.

So we'll have family here and it will be lovely. Yesterday D. and I picked up two glorious trees (at least one was paid for by a generous catering tip, hurray), one for the upstairs and one for down. We'll decorate with my sister and I haven't done that in a long time. I'm looking forward to having a Christmas with her.

With a little more baking and a little more yoga I'll get through this week.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Have a super holida, sp!

You don't sound Grinchy at all, just very practical, and good for you.

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Missing you guys! i feel your stress, I do, I do! I'll see you all on the 26th...happy stress free tree trimming!