Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Notes on running for the Chimps

I sent these notes to Fauna for their newsletter and I thought I'd post it on the blog since I did say I would wrap up on the fund raising side of the race. By the way, sis and I raised over $800 for Fauna!



Training for a marathon (42 km) was a new experience for me. I have completed several half marathons (21.1 km), but pushing it that much further seemed like a long journey and big commitment and it was.

Early on I decided that running my first marathon was a good opportunity to raise money for the Fauna Foundation again. Now I had two goals motivating me: a 42 km race day on June 10th and fund raising for the Fauna Foundation. I had chosen the Edge to Edge Marathon in Tofino, B.C. It’s always been a dream of mine to run that race since I started running in 2004.

I was three months into my five-month training schedule when an Achilles injury sidelined me. At this point I already knew that my mom, brother and his girlfriend, my step-dad and my sister were all coming to B.C. from all parts of Canada. My sister decided to run the half marathon, (her first ever) and would raise funds as well. I had set up a donation page on Canada Helps.org. I was fully committed to run the distance and raise money for Fauna.

When I went back out after my break I could barely run 1 km without pain so I needed more rest and some cross training to keep me fit. Gradually I started running again, but I couldn’t do my hill or speed training for risk of worsening my Achilles. I did get the long distance runs in with my partner, db, alongside me on his bike for those long Sunday morning runs. It sounds melodramatic, but I did encounter every possible scenario on those runs. Wind, rain, heat, pain and those dreaded walls you hit when running long distances all surfaced, but the desire to meet my goals kept me going even if it meant I had to walk the rest of the way. On one occasion I used the same tactic I used in my tough Mississauga half marathon run last year and I thought of the Chimps, naming them to motivate myself to push further.

A week before the race Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History screened in Vancouver. I was fortunate to not be working. db and I went to the film and I cried through the whole thing for all of those Chimps that we (humanity) have treated so poorly. I cried with joy as well seeing the Fauna sanctuary and Gloria interacting with the Chimps with such love and compassion. It was so lovely to watch Billy Jo and see him outside on the island. What perfect timing to see this film. I knew that day that I would finish the race and I was so proud of my sister and I for our efforts.

Race day I was nervous. My mom said to think of the Chimps, but I already felt I had drawn on that in those training runs, those early Sunday mornings rain or shine getting out there to run, with fatigue and doubt setting in. Now I just had to stay focused on finishing to complete my goals.

At the start line in Tofino I will selfishly admit I was running for me first. I had to remind myself of this when I felt like stopping along that stretch of road in the Pacific Rim National park. What a beautiful landscape. I did think of this lush environment sharing some similarity to where the few Chimpanzees still live in their natural world in Africa. Running in Tofino was a dream come true for me. At the finish line I collapsed in one big emotional release because I had done it and no matter how much you believe in yourself you never know until you cross that finish line.



Incidentally, I finished the marathon in fours hours and thirty minutes, placing in the middle of the pack. It’s a new victory for me. I’ve already thanked my family (at the finish line) and friends, but I need to thank Fauna and the Chimps as well. Without them I may have given up and slept in a few Sundays instead of getting out there and facing those tough runs.

I hope to visit someday. Maybe I’ll have to run in Quebec so I can make the trip. Thanks family, friends and everyone at Fauna.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ultra runner bf sends her congralutions to you and l. You can be proud of your achievements...on both fronts...the race and the money raising. Good for you. I'm proud of you too. m/d