Saturday, June 02, 2007

Animal Voices Film Festival


Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History
screened at the Animal Voices Film Festival. How timely that this film should be screening just a week before the marathon. I cried through the whole sixty minutes of the film. I recognized the chimps from the Fauna sanctuary, having gotten to know them through reading and hearing about them through Fauna. Most moving was to see Billy Jo so prominent in the film and so in need of constant reassurance. He died not long after the film was made so it was quite wonderful to be able to see Billy Jo with his companion caretaker, Gloria Grow (the founder of Fauna), and to see him finally outside on the chimp island, out in the open air with no cage overhead.

Each of the stories in this film, both chimp and human, are remarkable. There's something about the ability of a companion relationship between the two that gives me hope.

I am more inspired than ever to raise money for this sanctuary and for all those who work to release chimpanzees from labs, roadside zoos, and from being sold as "pets." I encourage you all to learn more about the lives of these beautiful animals that have 96% identical DNA with humans.

So if any of you want to donate, click on the right to help me raise money for Fauna. If you're looking for a gift, the Adopt a Chimp program is a wonderful gift that provides a personalized certificate and info about a specific Chimp. As I've probably mentioned before, my sister adopted a chimp (Jean) for db and I on our 5th anniversary. Learning about Jean's life moved me to learn more about the rest of the chimpanzees. And now...here I am running to do what I can to help these creatures live out their lives in dignity and to have some peace in their final years.

I highly recommend this film and a visit to any of the chimp sanctuary sites. I hope PBS screens the film again.

No comments: